Brake light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The brake lights on my 92 Chevy K1500 4x4 have stopped working twice now. I replaced all of the fuses in the panel and checked all of the taillight wiring on the aftermarket led assembly. Replaced the brake switch and it fixed the problem initially, then noticed my right blinker was flashing fast. When I checked my hazards the right blinker blew and with my headlights on, it looks like the brake lights are stuck on and my hazards only work when I engage a blinker. I'm so confused at this point, any advice or input would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't really help much on your issues ..... but when my brake lights went out on the '99, I replaced the switch. Good for a while, then again no brake lights. Found the hazard switch was bad.
Brake lights go through the hazard switch.

If your 3rd brake light works and the regular brake light don't work, the hazard switch is bad (at least on Suburban). If i shimmed the button over to one side with a couple of pennies it would work.
Play around with hazard switch.... Wiggle and jiggle it.
This guy explains how to remove & replace it....
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In your case, it may be the circuit boards at tail lights or a combination of boards, switch, hazards and grounds or pinched wires,...... ????

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the ground wire that's bolted on the left rear frame rail a few inches forward of the rear bumper. Unscrew it and clean the terminal end and the rail where it sits. The wires back there get rather brittle.

Last edited:

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brake switch was sticking. Got that and the hazards fixed. Apparently the guy I bought the truck from didn't believe in using the right size fuses anywhere. But the right blinker still flashes fast only when the headlights are on. Every bulb all the way around and inside are brand new and working, I replaced them myself. Also the parking brake light stays on. These issues are more annoying than anything else. I appreciate everyone's input anyway