Brake codes explained?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been driving it and it works pretty darn well! The front disks and pads need to be replaced and the rear drums are too thin. So it needs a full brake job. The TBI 350 runs well and is gutless over 3500 so a fresh 60 over 350 will take it’s place, sorting out the turbo mounting and details but it’s pretty easy on these old trucks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had turbo plans, I surely would not be starting with a +.060 block.

I'd want all the cylinder wall thickness I could get, AND lotsa "platform" for the head gasket to park on.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For front brake pads I recommend Raysbestos Element3 EHT369H.
There's three or four related part numbers. Might be 367, 368, 369, and 370. They're all approximately the same except for the spring clip on the inboard pad which is sized to fit the various piston diameters. There may be some difference in the backing plate on the outboard pad, with the pads intended for the biggest pistons also having some bevel or other geometric change at the bottom to avoid grinding into the rotor.

I suppose--but have not confirmed--that there's equivalent pads for each of those numbers: EHT367H through EHT370H. Pick the one that fits your caliper piston.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's three or four related part numbers. Might be 367, 368, 369, and 370. They're all approximately the same except for the spring clip on the inboard pad which is sized to fit the various piston diameters. There may be some difference in the backing plate on the outboard pad, with the pads intended for the biggest pistons also having some bevel or other geometric change at the bottom to avoid grinding into the rotor.

I suppose--but have not confirmed--that there's equivalent pads for each of those numbers: EHT367H through EHT370H. Pick the one that fits your caliper piston.
It is the 369, same as my 96 K1500.
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried to do that--post a photo of the brake option codes.

Closest I could get was a copy-to-Word Document, and then attach the Word document. My way sucks.

Also--what year service manual did that come from? In '97, JB/JD7 included 2.5" wide rear brakes, not 3.5" wide.

I wish that those charts also included caliper piston diameter, master cylinder and wheel-cylinder sizes.
I don't remember what year that came out of. Although 93 thru 96 the chart is the same checked. And yet the 91 chart is the 2.5 shoe for the -7.
I don't have anything that weight class to verify if it's a missprint.
As to the image, I often use the three finger screen capture. And it dumps into images file, on my Motorola phone.
Here is the 96 chart.
You must be registered for see images attach