BowtieBrody's '97 Burb and other piles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Well after dragging my feet I finally decided to make a thread for my Burb, a 1997 GMC K1500 SLT Suburban,

I bought it August 18, 2015 for $1,000 dollars; reverse was out of it and it slipped like a **** in 1st.

Here's what it looked like the day I saw it,
You must be registered for see images attach

2 days and a $1,000 later it was sitting in my yard.

First came the repair of the broken door handle,

Transmission work soon followed,

Then came the removal of the valence and running boards, and the addition of a new grill as my old one was held together with duct tape.

Got everything put back together and gave it a bath.

Did driver-side ball joint and pitman arm, drives so much better now.

And the most recent work done was getting rid of the bald Americus, and bald, weather-checked Michelins in favor of Cooper Discovery ATPs.

Also added some cheap-o Harbor Freight Halogen lights,

And just a couple of random pictures with some of my buddies trucks

My favorite picture of it so far,

Hope you'll enjoy this build as it progresses; comments, questions, and suggestions welcome!

Last edited:

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Thanks! I never realized how many OBS Suburbans were on the board until I got mine!

I loved it more once I got the running boards off, but I don't like anything other than the DeeZee tube style running boards.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
There is a set of smittybilt tubular step bars/nerf bars on my suburban. Some people don't like them. I do.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get some new step sides for my Burb, but the stock ones are ugly IMO. And Yes, there are quite a few OBS Suburbans joining up lately. Not so many when I first joined.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I have to admit, seeing your Suburban makes me want a little more ground clearance....in the form of a Dana 44 or Dana 60 possibly. How do you like the Superlift?

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, seeing your Suburban makes me want a little more ground clearance....in the form of a Dana 44 or Dana 60 possibly. How do you like the Superlift?

I love it - no complaints, completely satisfied with my choice. As beef as SASing is, I just don't think its necessary for most weekend warrior off-roading that most of us do (I'm not trying to climb 4 foot rocks, or squeeze through a river washes sideways ;)). Mine is no longer a DD, so it actually is a more feasible option, but I probably won't. Once these tires are toast, I'll throw on my 3" body lift to fully clear some 36/37s, for the added clearance.

The superlift is beef, for an IFS lift. The geometry, the fitment, and the quality are just outstanding.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The truck looks good. Nice progress so far. Does make a world of difference with the running boards off, but I like the front valance.