Bought some new interior today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Went to the junkyard for some Mercedes stuff a few days ago and found a cherry '93 suburban with tan leather in very nice shape. After getting the price I went home to think about it.

Went back today for more Mercedes stuff, and ended up buying the suburban's interior because it had not been touched. :)

I will need to either re-cover it in grey to match my truck, or will attempt to dye it first. I need to research how to do it best. The best thing, to me, is the rear bench will now be a 60/40ish fold down and flat for some nice storage space inside. I assume that the outside mounts will bolt right in, but I will need to come up with a way to mount the center support.

I also grabbed the rear door panels as they were perfect too. What caught my eye on them is the speaker in the door. In my crew cab, the rear speakers are right next to the passenger's head and if I turn my radio up loud enough for me to hear it over the road noise, then it is blaring in the rear passenger's ears (my daughters).

I hope to get everything dyed/re-covered over the next month or so. Then I will order some new carpet and some kind of dynamat stuff and get 'er done all at once. Oh, got it all out the door for under $150 too :)

You must be registered for see images attach

sorry about the picture quality. I had them put up in the shed before I realized I hadn't photographed them yet.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those Suburban rear door speakers are for the optional 6 speaker system - the one that has an auxiliary amp under the seat. Other 4 speakers are the regular ones in the dash and far rear of the headliner by the cargo doors. I scored a set from the boneyard and used them to put rear door speakers in my old '94 Burb, with some very simple work, standard 6.5's will fit in place of the factory 5.5's. Nice find.

By the way if you've looked, that's about the only good way to mount rear door speakers in these 4 door trucks; if you try putting them directly in the door on the standard panel the only place you can cut into the door skin would position the speaker aiming right at the side of the seat's bottom cushion = sucko!

Richard

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Good info Richard. I've got those type of door panels (99 crew) and there isn't any speakers there! Good to know that some 6 1/2" speakers will fit. Probably get some decent 2 ways to go there.

Sent from the Green Mile

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Richard. I'm looking forward to making this truck a bit more presentable.

Sent from my Windows Phone

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did some test fitting today.

As I figured, the front seats bolted right in, however it seems they are a little wider than my OE cloth seats as the center console lid hits the passenger side arm rest now.

On the rear seat, however, the fit was not so good. I ASSumed that the crew cabs and suburbans would have similar floor pans and I would just need to drill some extra mounting holes and be done with it, but it seems that the crew cab's center "hump" is much more pronounced so this is what I get:

I was really looking forward to taking advantage of this feature:

I guess I need to look at 4dr Tahoe/Yukons and see if those will bolt in better. It seems there was someone who did this recently on here or elsewhere. Maybe I'll just leave the bench.

Obviously, the color does not match my grey interior, however I really like the look of the tan leather in my black truck now and am thinking about a color swap on the rest of the interior to tan. Either way, the seats will need to be recovered due to wear, so maybe I'll just have the factory bench done at the same time.

More pics of the hump if anyone has some suggestions (please disregard the stained carpet):