Blown rear brake cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Happened on the way home one afternoon last week, right after I just got done adjusting the things a couple weeks ago. Anywho, I got the new cylinder to put on, question is, is there a secret to resetting the brake light on the dash? Will it automatically go off after it determines there is no more leak? I've read other makes you stomp the pedal real hard to reset the piston. Thanks!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happened on the way home one afternoon last week, right after I just got done adjusting the things a couple weeks ago. Anywho, I got the new cylinder to put on, question is, is there a secret to resetting the brake light on the dash? Will it automatically go off after it determines there is no more leak? I've read other makes you stomp the pedal real hard to reset the piston. Thanks!

Most of the time once you bleed the system it shuts off. You probably still have air in the system

Sent from somewhere in MN

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Seems to me that I've heard that that will work. Or, you could try disconnecting your battery for anywhere from an hour to overnight. The computer will probably retain that as a stored code, though.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Thanks guys. About one of the easiest jobs I've done. Old one out, new one in, bleed. Done. Brake light went out too.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once the system is pressurized, lite goes out. Gm drum cyl are stupid easy to swap, don't even have to take the assembally apart. Remove drum, set e-brake wiggle old one out, swap in new.

Glad to hear it didn't fight you!