Block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

posdeer

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. It won't be used all the time but it could be handy at times. Especially at 4 in the morning when I'm going hunting.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My electric bill is high enough without adding a block heater. Besides it would be a matter of time till I forgot to unplug it and rip the grille out.

Back in the early 70's the shop I worked at had a 63 Autocar wrecker. On real cold days the temp gauge went down after unplugging the heater and driving down the road

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Besides it would be a matter of time till I forgot to unplug it and rip the grille out.

I did this more times than I care to admit in my old square body burb with the 6.2. One time I drove 30+ miles on the highway and this car comes up behind me flashing it's lights and waving me over. So after I pull over and get out, here's my 50ft. extension cord trailing from the grill out behind the truck. I had the pigtail ziptied to something solid inside the grill and it never hurt the grill at all or the heater. The extension cord was ruined, though.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the heater works, it can save cold start wear on your engine, and allow you to drive it, gently, without a warm up period, thus saving you fuel. The warm block and oil allow better lubrication of the bearings and cylinder walls right away on a cold start. The usual routine, when I lived in central British Columbia, was to put the block heater on a timer, so that it came on a couple of hours before you needed to start the truck.

The type that went into one of the water lines was fairly widely used, but the freeze plug style was more popular. My Canadian truck has a factory block heater, but in Vancouver, it doesn't really get cold enough to need it.

For $3, I don't see how you can go wrong.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Block heaters are for more than keeping you warm. Cold weather start ups contribute to 70% of engine wear. Use them on timers an hour or two before you start the car.
I use one (stock freeze plug) on my forged 383 turbo motor . Its a must.
Using a block heater will reduce emissions and allow your motor to last allot longer. Freeze out plugs are the best Ive read.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
try kick starting a Harley when it's below 30*, especially a high compression built engine.......the flywheels have to slog through the super viscous oil......and the older motors' oiling systems are also gravity fed.......takes a bit to get fed through the whole system.

most engine wear occurs on startup due to not having oil through out the system.......the viscosity will depend on the tolerances of the engines parts...........or should.

i've been using semi or full synthetic in all my internal combustion engines, transmissions, T-cases and differentials for over a decade now. both bikes and trucks.....it does indeed make a difference in my opinion, especially cold starting. syn WILL increase your mpg, though marginally.

i'm a firm believer in a good engine block heater when anything below 0* is a normal day. IF the vehicle came with it. i've never installed one after the fact. i would consider a magnetic pan unit for the engine and trans if i was back up north where there are 2 seasons(cold and bugs). depending on the wattage i'd set a timer appropriately after testing.....some of those circulation setups use a LOT of power, and that's expensive.......

when i lived upstate NY for those 9 years, i remember the worst i've ever dealt with.......the ambient temperature never got above -22* for 3 weeks straight, that winter of '99. nothing i owned that lived outside my (under-house)garage wanted start very well, which included both mine and my wife's trucks. (i COULD get them running if needed)......the ATV and generator were kept warm in the garage.

they can also protect your electrical system, especially your starter motor. warmer engines spin easier.

paramount for good cold weather starting in my opinion is a good quality battery with the correct CCA for the job........a quality dual battery system is in my future. quality and correct gauge wire for the job is another must. resistance is heat and heat is bad, let's the smoke out of the wires.
of course matching the viscosity of the oil to a consistent temperature is important too. syn flows better cold.

i prefer to use Odyssey batteries (made in Missouri) Brad-Penn oil (made in Pennsylvania) and Liquid Performance ethanol equalizer.

straight up....i would think anything is better than nothing.....if installed correctly.

i love my remote start, though it doesn't address the wear issues as mentioned in this thread.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I use these in both of my trucks and my Monte. They are absolutely amazing.

after some snoopin around.....for my coming dual battery setup, i came to find out that the Sears Die Hard is a re-badged Odessey. and also come to find out that they're a bit less expensive as well.

i have a new(er) Interstate in my truck now, it came with her. when i pull the trigger on the dual rig, my primary battery will be the the dual terminal 34/78DT series "marine spec" Platinum Die Hard. the Interstate will be secondary if it tests real good.

the page won't finish loading and says "temporarily unavailable".....Sears is probably shopping for another company to make their top batteries.........i'm gonna call my local store to see if they have one in stock. my luck they won't:
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-automotive-battery-group-size-34-78dt-price/p-02851090000P#

Best deal i found on the Odessey for our trucks:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-odysse...xNrnPVxP2T24YZFXObE0CbN0pooqZbzK8ShoClxnw_wcB

i remember a few decades ago when Optima was the best you could get. real high tech for the '80's......too bad they're made in mexico now. i wouldn't put one in my truck if you gave it to me.......lots of folks have problems with em.....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
after some snoopin around.....for my coming dual battery setup, i came to find out that the Sears Die Hard is a re-badged Odessey. and also come to find out that they're a bit less expensive as well.

The Die Hard Platinums (Only the Platinums) USED TO be re-badged Odysseys. Sears changed contracts very recently, like last six months or less. I believe the Die Hard Platinums are Deka made now. I guess Sears didn't want to pay the premium for Enersys products any longer.

And yeah... I killed two Optima yellow tops in less than a year. That's what prompted my switch to Odysseys. :lol: