BJ/Bushing replacement vs. Whole UCA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys I want some opinions on cost and the best choice.

I am going to need to replace the upper BJ's on my truck soon enough as the lowers got replaced last year, the truck has 194K+ on it so bushings are getting old too.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a whole new MOOG UCA with bushings and BJ and let the shop do it when do tie rod ends too vs having them try to get all the old out to replace with new?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with the factory UCA. I suggest energy suspension black bushings (I ordered the control arm set from summit). Moog upper ball joints are the best :)

But the way you want to do it is fine also. Its probably more cost effective at that time but not in the long run.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I say get energy suspension bushings and moog ball joints and take it to a shop to get the bushings pressed/torched/beat out. Get the lower bushings done too.

Those bushings can be a pita.

Source Unknown

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
When I lowered my '98, I bought some good used UCA's & LCA's. Sand-blasted them, painted 'em up all nice, replaced the bushings with urethane ones, & install new MOOG ball joints. The truck is lowered with springs & spindles, so when it came time to do the lowering job, it was just a few more bolts to install the control arms. Made for way less hoist time, & the job took less than a day. That included doing the rear flip kit & notch, tie-rod ends, idler & pitman arms, center link, swaybar bushings & end links, plus 4 new shocks. Drove it there in the A.M., stock. Drove it home in the P.M., slammed. I think all 4 control arms cost me $50.00.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that is the only option is source some other OEM UCA's then clean and paint and replace with new stuff. I suppose I need to see how much I can find some for then start cleaning them. I want to finish off all new parts in the front so new CA bushings, tie rods, upper BJ's, crank down some more then get it aligned.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I would be in it 100 or so plus paint and a lot of time to clean them up, guess have to see what the shop would charge to do it all.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Do the ball joints yourself with a tool. That might save you money depending on what the shop charges overall. The bushings are another story. Mine were a royal PITA. It took a torch and an impact to get them out. Take a look at my build thread.

Sent from the Green Mile

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fortunately they have been replaced before so they are bolt in, I think I may do them myself, then take it to the shop and let them do tie rod ends or I could get all new rods and replace the whole thing then let them do poly bushings and an alignment. It is my DD so I cannot tear it down for days like I would want.