Bigger front brakes on 5 lug c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, im aware of the thread on brake upgrades on these trucks. They seem more aimed at the 6 and 8 lug trucks.

Do the 8600 gvw calipers still fit the 5 lug? I've already got a pair. I can't use the 2500 rotors, as they're 6 lug. So I'm stuck with 5 lug rotors. Doing research, I think I'm going to get slotted, not drilled, rotors. I've watched a few videos(forget the guys name, he does a good job of approaching things scientifically) and plain faced or slotted is the best bet.

Side question. Since the rotor and hub is one assembly, should I get new bearings? What size is the nut?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What year is your truck? The early 4wd had big and small brakes, I wonder if the 2wd we're the same? Other than aftermarket or that, I suspect you're SOL because, IIRC, the 800 2wd trucks were 6 lug.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the 8600 GVW calipers will bolt on. I just put them on my C1500 a few weeks ago. Unless there's a problem with your bearings, I wouldn't replace them. Just clean and repack them. Just take the spindle nut off with some pliers--it shouldn't be very tight.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the 8600 GVW calipers will bolt on. I just put them on my C1500 a few weeks ago. Unless there's a problem with your bearings, I wouldn't replace them. Just clean and repack them. Just take the spindle nut off with some pliers--it shouldn't be very tight.
Perfect. I was beginning to worry they wouldn't fit.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Do the 8600 GVW calipers really give you more stopping force? I have a C1500 Suburban that I will be doing a front end suspension rebuild (ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, brake pads, etc). My calipers seem to work just fine but if swapping to the larger calipers helps, I may give it a shot.

I've read the same about swapping to larger bore rear wheel cylinders (1-1/16" instead of the stock 1"), which are also from the 8600GVW vehicles.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, from what I read, they do apply more clamping force with a given input. You'll get a LITTLE more peddle travel. Someone in the front brake upgrades sticky did the math and since the pads are basically already contacting the rotor (about 4-8 thou off) the larger bore doesn't take all that much more volume. I think it was about 1.4cc's more which is like a teaspoon. And that's for both being changed out. What adds a better peddle feel is switching to hydroboost.
Do the 8600 GVW calipers really give you more stopping force? I have a C1500 Suburban that I will be doing a front end suspension rebuild (ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, brake pads, etc). My calipers seem to work just fine but if swapping to the larger calipers helps, I may give it a shot.

I've read the same about swapping to larger bore rear wheel cylinders (1-1/16" instead of the stock 1"), which are also from the 8600GVW vehicles.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did the 8600 GVW calipers on my 1500 and there is a noticeable difference in stopping power. Problem on the 4wd is that the pads will rub the rotor hat. Even if you grind the backing plate flush with the pad it still rubs. It eventually self clearances and shuts up, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I plan to snag some AWD 6 lug Astro knuckles to run GMT800 rotors and calipers myself. Check into the late Astro van setup, I know the late 6 lug AWD used GMT800 stuff, I wouldn't be too surprised if the 2wd also swapped over to the dual piston caliper setup.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I've read, there's two different 6 lug pads and two different 8 lug. You have to get the ones to match the rotor (I think) not the caliper
I did the 8600 GVW calipers on my 1500 and there is a noticeable difference in stopping power. Problem on the 4wd is that the pads will rub the rotor hat. Even if you grind the backing plate flush with the pad it still rubs. It eventually self clearances and shuts up, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I plan to snag some AWD 6 lug Astro knuckles to run GMT800 rotors and calipers myself. Check into the late Astro van setup, I know the late 6 lug AWD used GMT800 stuff, I wouldn't be too surprised if the 2wd also swapped over to the dual piston caliper setup.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
From what I've read, there's two different 6 lug pads and two different 8 lug. You have to get the ones to match the rotor (I think) not the caliper

Well for the 8 lug there were 8600 GVW, 9200 GVW, and 10,000 GVW but for the 6 lug, despite the differing GVWs, I'm unaware of any different pads. I bought for an 8600 GVW truck, any more info you can share on this would be great.