Best way to fool O2 sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I want to remove the catalytic converters from my truck (1996 k1500 vortec 5.7) to make it louder but I definitely want to avoid the check engine light.

My family has a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with banks exhaust and the cat punched out. But with 2 o2 sensors still the rear one was moved back maybe 6 inches. And there is no CEL.

Can I do it like the jeep? Or does it have to be different? Will it affect the fuel/air mixture at all?

Or should I just get cheapo high flow cats for like $80 apeice $80?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
The O2 sensor is how the computer knows what the fuel/air mixture is and can adjust. Some have a second O2 behind the cats as well. My 2007 GMC has them. Just change the cat.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I haven't read anything absolutely definitive on whether the downstream cats are used for fuel trim on the L31 engine; seems like the jury is still out on that, even after 20+ years of existence. FWIW, I'm running catless, and have the rear cats tuned out.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not going to say that I approve of this, nor will I name any names of possible people I know, but if you leave the rear O2's after the cats out of the exhaust pipe, and expose them to constant fresh air... I dont know, like attached to an open area under the frame, that the O2's will recognize the difference from the front o2 sensors and wont kick a code due to the computer thinking the Cat is working.... just something I have seen done with certain OBDII vehicles... .

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The rear 02 sensors are simply there to check the functionality of the cats, upstream handles all the fuel trim.

They also detect cat overheat and will dump extra fuel to cool them down. With no cats, you'll never have a cat overheat. Just an annoying check engine light that's always on so when something else goes wrong you won't instantly recognize it.