Best/Favorite Spark Plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I disagree with the assertion that anyone's platinum is a good choice. While it seems our engines are fairly spark-plug tolerant, there are many engines that are not. When I was a Nissan tech, Champion was trying to expand in the spark plug market. They were selling their platinum plugs cheap, and we got a rash of Quest minivan engines misfiring. I don't know what it was about the VG30 and Champion plugs that disagreed, but we'd throw the Champions in the trash and put in a fresh set of the factory Nippondenso plugs and they'd run great. Here's what I was taught:

GM - AC Delco
Ford - Autolite or Motorcraft
Chrysler - Champion
Japanese or Korean - NGK or Nippondenso
European - Bosch or NGK

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that NGKs work in pretty much everything, and I've known guys who'll only run NGK in their small block Chevys. YMMV.
NGK has been making AC Delco plugs for over 25 years.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Iv had AC Delco Iridium in my burb for about 9 years now. hmmmm

is there a reason most of you guys use platinum? I thought Iv read somewhere that Iridiumin is much better than platinum? But I do understand that they were manufactured with Platinum, I kind of believed this was one of those situations where a new product has superceded an older one. am I grossly wrong? I was not a member of any forums back then.

my Burb gets 17+ mpg routinely ever since I did that tune up 9 years ago... same **** is still on except I have changed the dist. cap n rotor and the fuel filter.

prior to the tune up I got epa advertised average numbers of like 14 mpg.

I dunno but I'd like to hear from all you expert's. shes prolly due for new plugs soon simply based on age. LOL

Al
Sounds like I’ll be doing iridium delco’s next time I put new plugs in!

KCusick81

Reaction score
Iv had AC Delco Iridium in my burb for about 9 years now. hmmmm

is there a reason most of you guys use platinum? I thought Iv read somewhere that Iridiumin is much better than platinum? But I do understand that they were manufactured with Platinum, I kind of believed this was one of those situations where a new product has superceded an older one. am I grossly wrong? I was not a member of any forums back then.

my Burb gets 17+ mpg routinely ever since I did that tune up 9 years ago... same **** is still on except I have changed the dist. cap n rotor and the fuel filter.

prior to the tune up I got epa advertised average numbers of like 14 mpg.

I dunno but I'd like to hear from all you expert's. shes prolly due for new plugs soon simply based on age. LOL

Al
I know this thread is a bit outdated, but I was curious which model of ac delco iridium plugs you were running? Thanks in advance (if you ever see this, that is. Haha)

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Reason for platinum is 1 a little cheaper I’m sure but also to stay within tolerances of all that ignition system an plats are good for 100k miles so I don’t think anyones really racking up tons of miles to be changing them out frequently lol but plats are $8 each last time I remember buying them so it can start to rack up $$$ quickly if on a budget but I’ll definitely check into the iridium’s!! Lol

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Although pricey, I have used a set of 8 each AC Delco's 41-993 Iridium Spark Plugs at $6.16 each for a total of $49.28 since I have owned my 1996 Chevy C2500 5.7L. 4L80E. With regards to having no engine misfires or engine-related electrical abnormalities, as others in the past have stated on this forum with their vehicle engines. Good luck with your choice of spark plugs. I'll just stick with my (Albert Champion) AC Delco's!
It's what's called for and works fine on GMT400s. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.