Best carpet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know what site has the best carpet? Its going into a 1990 gmc c1500 single cab short bed. I currently have a vinyl floor and want black carpet. I went to the local pick a part but the carpet where horrible so I'm just going to buy new. Any recommendations or experience with online carpet buying?

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there an option to remove that dumb ugly heel pad? I was originally looking into that onebut i got confused with all the options

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's a good price!
Check the yardage price for the carpet. $36.95/yd.
It takes 4.5 yards to do the carpets from scratch. That works out to about $175.00. JUST for the carpet! Plus underlay! $15.00/yd. 3.5 yards needed. Better than another $50.00! $225.00 in materials, +tax, +shipping, before labor!
So, that $121.95 is actually a smokin' deal! Almost 1/2 the price of the raw materials!
I hardly ever make carpet sets anymore. Easier just to order some up!
If you don't want the heal pad, that becomes a special order. Be prepared to wait. & wait!
Don't know if this Co. will do that, but I've bought carpets from ACC, & they do, but it was more than a 6 week wait. And just a general hassle to even get them ordered.
That Co. has the option of having the underlay sent as separate from the carpets. Adds a step to the install, but I find that the carpets will fit better. Most carpet kits that I install, get the underlay pulled off the carpet & installed separately anyhow. With the underlay pre-attached, the carpet doesn't want to stretch & form as well as it does by doing the underlay install as a separate step
Not familiar with that 'Mass Backing'. Seems like a good idea. You could probably get the same effect from a good layer of deadener. But you're not gonna do the whole floor in deadener for $54.00!

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LMC carpet and vinyl floors are quite descent and made in the USA too. You do have to trim to fit as they give you a lot extra but the molding fit is perfect.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a good price!
Check the yardage price for the carpet. $36.95/yd.
It takes 4.5 yards to do the carpets from scratch. That works out to about $175.00. JUST for the carpet! Plus underlay! $15.00/yd. 3.5 yards needed. Better than another $50.00! $225.00 in materials, +tax, +shipping, before labor!
So, that $121.95 is actually a smokin' deal! Almost 1/2 the price of the raw materials!
I hardly ever make carpet sets anymore. Easier just to order some up!
If you don't want the heal pad, that becomes a special order. Be prepared to wait. & wait!
Don't know if this Co. will do that, but I've bought carpets from ACC, & they do, but it was more than a 6 week wait. And just a general hassle to even get them ordered.
That Co. has the option of having the underlay sent as separate from the carpets. Adds a step to the install, but I find that the carpets will fit better. Most carpet kits that I install, get the underlay pulled off the carpet & installed separately anyhow. With the underlay pre-attached, the carpet doesn't want to stretch & form as well as it does by doing the underlay install as a separate step
Not familiar with that 'Mass Backing'. Seems like a good idea. You could probably get the same effect from a good layer of deadener. But you're not gonna do the whole floor in deadener for $54.00!

Damn i really wanted the carpet in the next 2 weeks as i want to run my system wiring under the carpeting but if im to be picky i guess itll have to wait:/

I have a dynamat extreme bulk pack at home that i was going to use for the floor as a deadened because the thick "mass backing" interferes with my seats bolts i need carpet as thinly layered as possible

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
LMC carpet and vinyl floors are quite descent and made in the USA too. You do have to trim to fit as they give you a lot extra but the molding fit is perfect.

Better too big than too small! Lol!

Damn i really wanted the carpet in the next 2 weeks as i want to run my system wiring under the carpeting but if im to be picky i guess itll have to wait:/

I have a dynamat extreme bulk pack at home that i was going to use for the floor as a deadened because the thick "mass backing" interferes with my seats bolts i need carpet as thinly layered as possible

Still use the jute underlay, though. Even with the dynamat. The carpets will be molded with that extra thickness taken into account.
Without the underlay, those molded carpets will not fit properly. Loose & baggy. The molded corners will fit wrong. That molded carpet is some what forgiving, but not that much.

Have you installed carpets before?

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Better too big than too small! Lol!

Still use the jute underlay, though. Even with the dynamat. The carpets will be molded with that extra thickness taken into account.
Without the underlay, those molded carpets will not fit properly. Loose & baggy. The molded corners will fit wrong. That molded carpet is some what forgiving, but not that much.

Have you installed carpets before?

So theres no way around the carpet being thick if i want it to look right?

And yes i just redid my girlfriends entire interior from brown to black dashboard, door panels, all trim and carpet. It was in a 2004 dodge stratus sedan so i figured a single cab truck would be easier