Vinyl vs carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
I have a 1995 single cab c2500 5 speed.
The rubber/ vinyl floor has a huge spot missing on the driver's side. I like the idea of how forgiving the vinyl would be to mud and dirt.
Are there any reasons to go carpet over rubber/vinyl? I will be ordering Wednesday and want to make a good choice. This is a work truck/ tow pig that can clean up for date night

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
My 99 C3500 had the vinyl floor, I could hose it out, dry with a towel, mud cleaned up. My 94 and 89 has the carpet, not easy to clean. I'm a messy guy, everything I walk on is somehow muddy. I can't clean automotive carpet at all. My Dodge has offbrand Weather Techs, I've tried my hardest to replace the carpet with vinyl but nobody makes a kit for that.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a work truck/ tow pig that can clean up for date night

Vinyl. All the way. Easier to Mr. Clean the puke from my wife ( and past doggies ) when I take The Chevy out for a An Italian tune up. LOL

Would it be tacky to get a nice set of carpeted mats to throw over the vinyl, for date night?

Just a thought...

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My red truck has vinyl and my Suburban has carpet. Both have been in the family since they were purchased new in '97. The red truck was originally my dad's daily driver/work truck for his construction company, the Suburban was my mom's daily driver and rarely transported anyone with dirty shoes. After 26ish years, the vinyl floor in my red truck looks like new and the Suburban's carpet is pretty trashed. I'd have to say that my vote is for the vinyl. Both for cleaning and longevity reasons.

I have heard people say that the vinyl floor can trap moisture underneath it and promote rust, so I would personally never hose it out in the truck. But it's easy enough to wipe clean with a damp towel.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a king ranch f450 with rubber floors. It’s a mix of classy and practical. I have delivery plastic on my carpet in other trucks