Believe Motor Is Dead and needing 305 to 350 swap info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Based on the limited description/information: rod knock.

Terminal.

Rod knock progresses quickly from knock noise to spun bearing and rod failure.

Do the screwdriver listening process and try to localize it.

Listen for it to see if it is at crank speed or half crank speed.

Crank speed is more evidence of rod knock.

Half crank speed is valvetrain.

With limited funds, I would suggest a junkyard replacement if it is confirmed to be rod knock.

Last edited:

Bunnerrabbit

Reaction score
Any issues with using a 350 from a 96 tahoe 2WD? Is the rear of the engine different on 2wd 4wd auto and manual trans? I think my best bet is to buy a running vehicle and use it for awhile. Maybe something with better seats and parts I can use

Its a California car emissions issues?
never mind sold quick

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Any issues with using a 350 from a 96 tahoe 2WD? Is the rear of the engine different on 2wd 4wd auto and manual trans? I think my best bet is to buy a running vehicle and use it for awhile. Maybe something with better seats and parts I can use

Its a California car emissions issues?
never mind sold quick

No difference in 2wd and 4wd good idea on buying a running vehicle

Bunnerrabbit

Reaction score
OK, looking for suggestions on what to do. I will Not be doing this myself but there are a few shops around that I trust to do it at a reasonable (unknown at this point) cost. I have found complete motors on ebay that will run about $1200 shipped 5.7 under 100k miles or about $2000 shipped for a re-manufactured (possible new) block. Have searched for a running vehicle but have not come up with much. I am concerned going to a 5.7 because of the O2 issues, my factory exhaust might not be enough, and I live in a emissions state however my county is not compliant because of the lower population but that could change.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Someone correct me if i am wrong, but a 305-350 swap on one of these trucks is plug and play is it not? its only 45 extra cubes. They are really not that hard to change, and put a clutch in it while the motor is out. You can buy just the disc on ebay if everything else looks ok. Cheap insurance on a reliable finished product. Will the 305 computer not run the 350?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
It should pass emissions if your 305 would. If you bought an engine and let someone else install it, they would never know that it was a 350 that was going back in it. They are identical on the outside.

Bunnerrabbit

Reaction score
From my understanding they have a different emissions setup. 5.0 has 3 sensors setup and the 5.7 has 4 sensor setup. Its not that big of a deal as far as passing inspection at this point. Part of me wants to make a gamble that I could do it myself with a junkyard motor (block). I could build something out by my building and lift straight up and pull truck out from under it.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Your 305 comes out, the attaching bits get transferred over to the 350 long block (if different) and the 350 goes right back in place.

As long as they are both Vortec engines, should be out and in easy peasy.

If you end up swapping over intake manifolds it's a good time to do the fuel poppet manifold upgrade. Commonly known as "the spider".

If you can swing the couple bucks that is.