Bad rollover accident makes me think about a roll cage in my crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely an angel on your shoulder. I have one on mine! Rolled my sbowmobile two years ago going 50mph around the corner. Was thrown off the snowmobile. My shoulder broke through a trail sign, and two trees. If I was 5in to the right I would be dead or paraplegic

chevydan3

Reaction score
Was in the passenger seat of my brother's Jetta that rolled about eight years ago. Not sure how many times we went over but it was violent, and I hit my head pretty hard on the roof as it caved in. But I was able to crawl out of the crushed window frame and we both walked away. The roll was violent enough to break the motor mounts, but the fact that we both walked away (my brother had a separated shoulder and I had a headache) testifies to the fact that modern cars are built to keep people alive. I don't see a cage being necessary on a dd, specifically in regards to seat belts and helmets.

Another story my dad always told was of 2 kids he went to high school with. Guys tried to jump a jeep and went for a tumble, the seat/seatbelt mounts and cage weren't tied together and the seats broke loose and the guys got beat to death inside the cage. There's a lot more to a cage than just the cage itself, everything has to tie in together for it to work properly.

Last edited:

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
I have been told by a handful of people around here that one fellow took his wife's car and exo-caged it. Seems she was always in a fender bender of some sort. I wish I had pictures of it.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes you will still get hurt when you roll your car. However it is designed to crumple in order to reduce the impact on the passengers.

tommypvt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think there is merit to a cage in this situation. Cars are meant to crumple in the front and the back. Having the top collapse in on you does nothing for your safety. Read some racing cage specifications if you are going to build your own cage. Yes a cage can kill you if you hit it but also as you saw in your pic a collapsing roof will kill you just as well. You can probably put a safe cage in a pickup and have enough room for your head. Harnesses help in that regard as well.

You have to put a lot of thought into it but I believe it could be done and possibly should be done in a lifted truck that might have a higher propensity to roll over.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I have rolled my truck once but not that hard. I got her back on the road again but you can still see some damage. I saw this Mitsubishi wagon suv thing at the junk yard and stared at it for about 20mins with my friend. It was very sad. Labeled bio hazard. I was t boned in my old mustang drop top by a truck doing 50 no brakes. That scared the living day lights out of me and changed the way I drive for sure and that was 4 years ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I have rolled my truck once but not that hard. I got her back on the road again but you can still see some damage. I saw this Mitsubishi wagon suv thing at the junk yard and stared at it for about 20mins with my friend. It was very sad. Labeled bio hazard. I was t boned in my old mustang drop top by a truck doing 50 no brakes. That scared the living day lights out of me and changed the way I drive for sure and that was 4 years ago.

Wow... Thats all i have to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy crap! Photos like that make me think that there has to be some middle ground between leaving my truck alone because of the numerous mentioned cons and caging it like a race car which has many many more cons but the only time the pro matters is when that added bit saves my life or more importantly my kids or wife.

Isn't there some level of added safety that can be had without introducing new safety concerns?