Bad breaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So for the last month I've had a squekey sound comin from the right rear, i figured it was my breaks. So the other day my brakes started getting really bad and the parking brake light won't off now. I'm just wondering if the bad breaks are related to the parking brake light, is it supposed to be a warning sign or something?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like your parking brake is slightly on try pulling the brake release and see if the pedal comes up and the light goes off

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Sounds to me you blew a wheel cylinder, thats more than just a "parking brake light" its also a brake fluid low level indicator.

So Probably blew the right rear wheel cylinder causing brake fluid to get on the brake shoes, so when you apply brakes the contaminated shoes are getting hot with the fluid and squeaking, also losing brake fluid in the front portion of your master cylinder causing your brake light to be on.

New wheel cylinder is like 15 bucks, removed drum, remove 2 10mm bolt behind drum backing plate, removed 10mm line nut from wheel cylinder, installed new in reverse order, bleed both rear brakes starting at RR then LR.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I went through my right rear drum, other than the shoes being a little worn out it looked ok. So me and my friend put it back together, went and got gas and on the way back to his place he forgot to take the parking brake off and now that doesn't work and to top it off my brakes completely went, so I couldn't stop while goin 65mph. We managed to pull over since he didn't want to drive and we looked at the fron and there was just brake fluid runnin down my passenger front tire. We managed to get the truck back to my house and parked it. I haven't had time to look at it yet but I'm assuming I busted a brake line, what do you guys think?

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were you having to add fluid to the master cylinder any before all the problems happened? Particularly to the front or back half? If not then the back wheel cylinder is (was) probably good.

Probably did burst a brake hose or something on the front right.

Hope you didn't overheat and warp the rear drums...