Axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wasn't there a list here or on fsc about what parts to get and use or where they come from? I'm pretty curious as to what axles to use with ps drop and ds drop, what years and vehicles they are found in, and then what ppl do for brakes and steering, the brakes and steering is what scares me. I don't like to rig things like that or throw parts together and hope it works. That and the wheels being different bolt patterns I hate that.

sorry man don't mean to jack your thread but I am curious and interested in it too.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
These questions make me believe that you are not ready for a solid axle swap.

:word: There's a lot of build threads on SAS GMT400 trucks, they will open your eyes to the swap and many will have answers to the questions you've been asking.

wasn't there a list here or on fsc about what parts to get and use or where they come from? I'm pretty curious as to what axles to use with ps drop and ds drop, what years and vehicles they are found in, and then what ppl do for brakes and steering, the brakes and steering is what scares me. I don't like to rig things like that or throw parts together and hope it works. That and the wheels being different bolt patterns I hate that.

Its not so much the axles that limit ps or ds drop its the lack of ps drop transfer cases that limit us to ford axles which are harder to find and many times more expensive, perfect example is a 78/79 D60. There is a thread on here about adding VSS to a NP205 which would probably be the most cost effective route to running a ps drop axle. Corp 10 bolts are easy to find, there's plenty in the aftermarket for them and can be built stout for reasonable cost.

Bolt patterns are pretty simple, with the exception of 2005+ Ford D60 they're pretty much all a 8x6.5 with GM 10 front axles being standard 6x5.5.

91 4x4

Reaction score
Well since me and a guy at work have been talkin bout me doin a sas and me myself is not doin it I dont have the time or all the tools so my local offroad shop is doin it I just have to figure out what all ima need to buy

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Well since me and a guy at work have been talkin bout me doin a sas and me myself is not doin it I dont have the time or all the tools so my local offroad shop is doin it I just have to figure out what all ima need to buy

Ok do not take this the wrong way but if all you want is a solid axle go buy an older truck that already has one. You are going to end up spending at least 6 grand if you go that route.

91 4x4

Reaction score
I may just buy the 3/4 runnin gear off my budys dad and put it under

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I may just buy the 3/4 runnin gear off my budys dad and put it under

What kind of truck is it coming off of?
Again what is the truck gonna be used for?
If you do your research the swap itself is not hard and there is no reason that with a few tools you shouldnt be able to do it yourself.