Axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91 4x4

Reaction score
I playin on puttin a soild axle in my 91 z71 its gota 383 storker in I wana run 38s what would be the axle and gears to run? Any help would be great

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dana 60 from a f 250 4.10's should be the standard gearing in that and do 14 bolt in the rear same gears

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
agreed but IMO you want a taller gear for 38's I'd say 5.13's or something. 4.10's would be good for highway driving, but that's about it.

91 4x4

Reaction score
Well it wont be a DD anymore itll be a playtoy but if I do thoes axles how do I order the lift?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you would have to go to the lift maker and order the front springs to fit the axle or what the axle came from, then for the back you just order em to fit your truck, run blocks, do a flipped hanger etc.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
SAS isn't as cut and dry as what "kit" you want, you need to really pin your axle down first and in the other thread you mentioned you'll be running a turbo 400 so you don't have the normal VSS issues that limit you to driver drop transfer case or the hard to find pass. drop np241 so that opens you up to GM axles as well.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
true the rest of the info I had no idea though, but yea you gotta know what axle up front and rear you are going to run to buy the right lift parts.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
These questions make me believe that you are not ready for a solid axle swap. I am not trying to bash you or anything but these are not questions that are hard to find the answers to. I feel that if you think your anywhere close to being able to do this swap then you will end up with a truck that is taken apart and can not be put back together by you.

And you were already given false info.
Do not look mainly for f250s as most have a 44 not a 60. Look for f350s for the axle, preferably a 78-79 (other years will work but limit wheel and tire choices because of the springs).
For 38s swims was right 5.13s will keep you pretty close to a stock feeling for the truck.
For the lift you should run some stock 52 inch springs. These coupled with most bracket kits and a zero rate to move the axle forward a little will net you around 8-9 inches of lift which will clear your 38s with the right wheels.
Your going to need to swap your rear axle too

Have you done any research on this? What brackets do you plan on running, kit or homemade?
What is this purpose of this truck going to be? Do you just wanna be big or do you plan on using it for a trail rig or what?