ATK High Performance 350ci TBI engine for 1988-1995 Trucks from Jegs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Timing cover needs to be installed before the oil pan anyway, just FYI!
Well, all I did was waste an hour or so then. Gonna pull the pan (again) and harmonic balancer, and get the timing cover off. I did notice that part of the oil pan gasket covers a plastic piece at the front of the engine, which literally just clicked in my brain that thats the timing cover. :slap:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plastic timing cover is also not re-useable. Get a Holley alumimum cover. They make onenwithout the crank sensor hole for Carb/TBI engines and one with the crank sensor hole for engines running the Vortec EFI.

Reaction score
Plastic timing cover is also not re-useable. Get a Holley alumimum cover. They make onenwithout the crank sensor hole for Carb/TBI engines and one with the crank sensor hole for engines running the Vortec EFI.
I already bought the plastic one a while back unfortunately. I am gonna plug the hole with the old sensor and just run it for now.

Reaction score
Update on the build-

So we just got back from vacation a few days ago, we went to Alaska. Gorgeous country, and saw a bunch of OBS’s running around which was cool.

I haven’t been working on it too much, but I am glad I pulled the oil pan back off. The gasket wasn’t working because I forgot to put those stiffening rails on. Got the harmonic balancer and the timing cover off, and am getting ready for the new cam. Should the engine be at TDC for the cam removal? And should I pull and check all the roller lifters?

I am also plastigaging the main bearings. I pulled some off the check the surfaces and they were torqued to wildly different numbers. I was finally able to track some green .001-.003 stuff down at Advance Auto at the commercial desk. Hopefully I won’t have to replace any of them when I check the clearances.

Any recommendations on good, inexpensive plug wires? I got iridium plugs. The engine should be around 315hp, would an 8mm wire be ok? I will ohm them out when I get them to check resistance.

Also, was in contact with Brian Harris to get a chip burned for now. Eventually would like to go to EBL but that will have to wait until I save up enough to do the transmission and can get a stand-alone TCM or go back to a vacuum controlled transmission. The transmission is pretty solid still but idk how it’s gonna hold up to ~315hp vs 190hp. I got a quote from a local shop and it’s gonna cost me ~$2500 at a minimum, with a couple upgrades it’ll be ~$3,000. I told him I would like to boost it eventually and he said that that will be touchy, that the stock brain won’t be able to handle a 2 BAR MAP. Any advice on this?