Asking for engine-Savy advice!!! Help me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some engines are fine with tossing the thermostat. Some aren't. Gutting the thermostat is the safest way to crutch a situation.

If you absolutely have to drive it, go back to that 160* thermostat and don't go on long drives. In the meantime get a junkyard motor out of a wrecked truck - if the truck's not wrecked it might be in the junkyard because the heads are cracked and blowing coolant. Do a simple, solid rebuild on that junkyard motor. No crazy hot rod stuff, it's your daily driver. Be sure and get the block and heads magnafluxed and pressure checked.

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was clearly a head gasket cause it leaked compression into the cooling system I guess and blew the upper hose twice. And then the radiator. That’s with 180* thermostat the first time and no thermo the second hose and radiator. This was a few days ago. It put me in a bind because I needed a ride and I didn’t have any savings after my girl needed help after she totaled her car thanks to a hit & run. So I got a ride straight to a dealership while my truck was towed to my house and I bought a used 2018 Camry because I couldn’t afford to fill my truck up everyday as it was. So while i rebuild my bank cushion, I’ll at least have a reliable car to get to work. Extremely happy with it btw, I don’t really fit in it well and my injuries from a previous wreck make it rough to get in and out of a car but it drives and rides great. Checked my mileage on paper three times and that’s mix of city , 90-110mph highway, and idling, and all three times averaged 34-36mpg. Outstanding. Just needs a front valence because the front definitely floats at 100. I digress, once I get my cushion back to a healthy level, I’ll be trading car for a 2021 dmax (so most bugs will be fixed from 2020 model). Keeping the CCSB but gonna speed up on my 12 valve swap. Probably after I get the 2021 dmax because if I get itncomverted to 12v Cummins I’ll not worry about the ‘21.