Ardent Fabrication Autocross Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Those tiny tread blocks must deform like crazy under the weight of the truck.

Check out these close-ups of the tires. So far this is the second event on the tires (already rotated them before this event). The edges of the blocks are getting chewed up but it is what it is. As long as I can keep the tire perpendicular to the ground, I should get the best traction and even wear as possible [emoji123]

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Have you looked at some drag radials? Nitto & BFG (ich!) both make em in a 295/50/15. Pretty darn sticky after they're warmed up. I borrowed a set of Nittos (4) from a bud when I did the 200' skid-pad lateral G tests.
After trying 3 other sets of tires in various rim sizes, tread widths & compounds, they were just head & shoulders above the others.
I couldn't stop laughing. The harder I pushed, the better they stuck. It took a lot to get 'em to finally break loose.
They were the difference between the other tires providing readings of .85 -.88 & the final results of .93.

Mmmm...Tri-y's! One of the best, if not THE best, header designs, ever.
Carroll Shelby never used anything that didn't work. His testing found that they worked the best!
Good enough for him? Well then...!

Oh yea...pssssttt...driver's door handle! Lol! #gmt400probs!

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
That's awesome, thanks for sharing that information!! I'm definetly going to look into those. That's interesting though, I figured a drag radial wouldn't be good for something that experienced a lot of lateral G's, but then again, I shouldn't assume anything about a tire just because it's labeled a certain way.

Do you recall exactly what tire it was? When I was shopping for tires through Discount Tire, Nitto drag radials weren't an option to choose from at that time.

Those are some impressive figures from the skid pad test!

As for the headers, I agree! I'm really looking forward to building a set. I think I've determined what sized primaries I'd like to use for this engine and future heads and cam but we'll see when I could actually get to it with my busy schedule. There needs to be an extra day added to the weekend. Imagine all the good we could do!

Oh, and as for the door handle, it's hanging on to dear life. However, it's actually works well as a theft deterrent because you have to know how to open it haha.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Watch out on the drag radials, not all are created equal. I don't know that the hoo hoo DR will take a corner, but it will definitely out hook the F out of a Nitto DR in a straight line which, I suspect, will out corner a Hoosier. Pick the right tool for the job. A DR is not it for turning a corner. A skid pad logs peak constant Gs and will not give a good indication of how that sidewall deals with transitions.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Right, that's what I figured.. I'm honestly curious about NASCAR tires or another type asphalt oval track slick.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Toyo Proxes for autocross and race track only might not be a bad option. Now whether or not you could find one to fit your wheel, that's a whole different thing.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Yea, that's the obstacle I knew I was getting myself into; finding a tire in the size I use.

If they made BFG Rivals in my size, I'd be all over that.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Got around to installing my rear sway bar the other night! Crappy pictures and a quick spray paint but it's in [emoji106]

Wow, made a very noticable difference. Again, more than I was expecting.. but the true test will be at next weekends autocross. I have a few more things up my sleeves but I won't say anything yet, gotta keep ya'll on yer toes!

I'll try to snap some better pictures with real lighting and maybe I'll even wipe off the fingerprints from my camera lense #potatoecam

Crytone

Reaction score
The brakeline above the pumpkin makes me nervous. You can see where the pumpkin has been hitting already, it's just asking to crimp or brake that line in 2.

ArdentFab

Ardent Fabrication
Reaction score
Brake lines and brackets clear, it's only the pumpkin hitting when the bed is fully loaded.

I nearly never touch the bump stops normally driving.

It's on my list to notch it next time I have the bed off.