Anyone gone "headunit-less?"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Had an idea while talking to a friend of mine about audio in a possible resto project of his. Same concept of how I put tunes on my ATV. With the advent of smart phones and tablets, I don't really see standalone headunits as a necessity anymore. One could use a 2/4/5-channel amp to power the speakers, mount a small input jack around the dash, and drive the amp directly by whatever device you're using. Better yet, you could use a Bluetooth receiver like the Fusion MS-BT100 and create a clean "wireless" setup. Also, any decent amp will output more than a headunit, and will be less visible than a headunit to a thief.

Any thoughts? I'd probably do this if I had an 88-94 truck.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 454SS has had a PreAmp setup with an audio input jack for roughly 20 years. The input jack was only connected when I got my first ipod (about 2007), but it is just thru a pair of RCAs. It has a radio/cd changer control/etc, but the radio poortion has never really been used (I only used the CD changer back in the day, but it isn't even in the truck anymore). The unit is a Pioneer DEX-M400. They haven't made it for many years, but I ended up with 2 of them. I have one in my SS and one in my '66GTO. I really only use the ipod or my iphone for all source input, and the preamp for equalization. Can listen to many audio sources via the iPhone apps.

I currently use a device called a Tunelink (New Potato Technologies) to get the data via Bluetooth to my Stereo input jack. It works great and does not require the use of an app. I use it in my company vehicle that only has a stereo input jack. My iPhone's audio plays wirelessly to the stereo, as well as navigation commands, etc. It does not do the audio for a phone call, but when the phone rings, it mutes the music and then continues where left off when the call is ended. I am not a fan of bluetooth phone calls due to poor quality sound on the other end, so this works great for me. I have used this in my truck as well, but plan to add the following unit as a more permanent solution.

A fairly new device that can convert audio via bluetooth, but has volume & track forward controls and mounts in a 3/4" hole (cig lighter plug comes to mind). I am in the process of getting setup to be a dealer on this product mainly for all the classic car audio work I do as well as boats. I can see this device working very well and will be getting my hands on one soon. I will install it on my GTO where the cig lighter is and supposedly the knob can be removed, so I will put the OEM style 1966 GTO knob so it looks factory. http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/WW-VC-BT.html

I like OEM appearance, but aftermarket quality. This gives the ability to leave the phone in my pocket and just use the knob to change tracks or turn up/down the volume.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
A fairly new device that can convert audio via bluetooth, but has volume & track forward controls and mounts in a 3/4" hole (cig lighter plug comes to mind). I am in the process of getting setup to be a dealer on this product mainly for all the classic car audio work I do as well as boats. I can see this device working very well and will be getting my hands on one soon. I will install it on my GTO where the cig lighter is and supposedly the knob can be removed, so I will put the OEM style 1966 GTO knob so it looks factory. http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/WW-VC-BT.html

I like OEM appearance, but aftermarket quality. This gives the ability to leave the phone in my pocket and just use the knob to change tracks or turn up/down the volume.

Now that is cool, thanks for the link. It's pricier than the Fusion unit I've had luck with, but it certainly would be nice to have basic controls without relying on the music device.

Might be able to mount that in one of the holes for a shaft-style radio without much modification. Course you'd have to make a filler piece for the other two spaces though.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that is cool, thanks for the link. It's pricier than the Fusion unit I've had luck with, but it certainly would be nice to have basic controls without relying on the music device.

Might be able to mount that in one of the holes for a shaft-style radio without much modification. Course you'd have to make a filler piece for the other two spaces though.

In my GTO? Nah. I have the original am/fm radio in the stock location, but not connected. The cigarette lighter is about 3 inches away, and has a 3/4" hole.

As far as putting one in a GMT400, I'm certain you could use one of the OEM blankout plates whether in older 88-94 or later 95-later trucks. I plan to mount on in my custom console in my SS.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my 91 Im using a audiocontrol eq that i plug my Ipod or phone into and then goes out to my amps. Kicker also makes a small amplified unit for the iphone/ipod
You must be registered for see images attach

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
In my GTO? Nah. I have the original am/fm radio in the stock location, but not connected. The cigarette lighter is about 3 inches away, and has a 3/4" hole.
Nah, I wasn't specifically referring to your GTO. Just any older vehicle.

In my 91 Im using a audiocontrol eq that i plug my Ipod or phone into and then goes out to my amps. Kicker also makes a small amplified unit for the iphone/ipod
I've seen those Kicker amps around, a friend of mine was kicking around the idea of using them on his Kawasaki Teryx.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my 91 Im using a audiocontrol Kicker also makes a small amplified unit for the iphone/ipod

I've seen those Kicker amps around, a friend of mine was kicking around the idea of using them on his Kawasaki Teryx.

I for got to add the Kicker device in my earlier post. I know several who have used them and they work great. Also Kicker just reintroduced it with Bluetooth connectivity now.

deej-79

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I copied his setup and couldnt be happier. I am going to check out that bluetooth connection though.