Anyone ever disassemble an airbag?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I dont mean take the airbag/horn cover off, I mean take the airbag itself and airbag 'bomb' out of the cover? I've seen some posts on the net of other manufacturers making it quite simple. I havent looked at mine yet, as I just thought of this at work, but from a few pics I've seen on the net of my airbag, it appears to be held in by a metal plate thats riveted to the plastic of the cover.

And yes, I know this is dangerous and such. I've been thinking about a project that would require me the remove the airbag.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes, but I don't recommend just anyone doing this, did this before on a Caprice. Your 2500 shouldn't have an airbag though, just a normal wheel and horn pad.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
in my 95 Burb, came stock, per rpo code. If I get time this weekend I may investigate further.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yes, but I don't recommend just anyone doing this, did this before on a Caprice. Your 2500 shouldn't have an airbag though, just a normal wheel and horn pad.

2500 burbs came with airbags.

2500 Trucks did not.

Not sure if the 2500's were just the 8600 GVWR trucks without airbags and 7200 trucks with airbag.

It's a weight class legality thing....might also have something to do with the Burbs being considered a MPV instead of a traditional truck.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I dont mean take the airbag/horn cover off, I mean take the airbag itself and airbag 'bomb' out of the cover? I've seen some posts on the net of other manufacturers making it quite simple. I havent looked at mine yet, as I just thought of this at work, but from a few pics I've seen on the net of my airbag, it appears to be held in by a metal plate thats riveted to the plastic of the cover.

And yes, I know this is dangerous and such. I've been thinking about a project that would require me the remove the airbag.

The other alternative is to buy a 2500 truck wheel as they didn't have airbags. They also have a bigger center section if you intend to mount something in there....

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
yeah, i've been looking for a blue pickup wheel for a bit

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
yeah, i've been looking for a blue pickup wheel for a bit

Ah, blue.

That's going to be challenge methinks.

I've got two slate/gray ones out in the garage. Don't think I've ever seen a blue...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Box stock 98 K3500 interior. Clearly a gray wheel.
You must be registered for see images attach

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
both my 95 Burb LS (airbag) and 97 Pickup Sliverado (no airbag) have blue wheels.