Anybody tried one of these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Ok, I'm very mechanically inclined and a do-it-yourselfer, and can fix just about any problem my truck has, but to be honest I'm not the greatest "electrician" shall we say. Basically, I want to be able to plug my phone (Galaxy S4, if you care, with a 3.5mm aux plug) into my truck to listen to my tunes.

TRUCK:
1994 GMC, just the factory am/fm radio, no tape deck.

I've been researching for days now and haven't made it too far. I've read a few threads explaining how to wire in an AUX port into trucks with a tape deck but can't find anything for just the radio. I DO NOT WANT AN AFTERMARKET HEADUNIT. Now, I'm sure it's possible, but reading about amps and resistors and blah blah blah just makes my head hurt. I'm not smart enough to figure it out without detailed step-by-step instructions, which I haven't found.

So, I saw this gizmo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-RADIO-WIRED-3-5MM-RCA-IPOD-AUX-FM-MODULATOR-/360622967600

Is it really that simple, and does it work well? The way I understand it is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, pull your stereo, plug your antenna wire into the gizmo and the wire that comes out of the gizmo into where your antenna wire was on your stereo, wire up 12v, and plug the l/r into a 2 to 1 cord that I plug into my phone, turn it on and set your stereo to whatever the channel is on the gizmo, and away you go?

Sounds too easy. And cheap. So, does it sound like crap? Is it a waste of 20 bucks?

Somebody school me on my audio please and thank you.

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'll work. That's the same way my old Sony 10 disc changer hooked up (through the antenna wire) Sounded fine.
Just stay away from the wireless versions. I tried one of those and had to have my MP3 player on the dash to get a decent signal.

CHIMPY

Reaction score
I'm guessing you don't want to go with an aftermarket head unit? those installs are quite easy and if you don't wanna get into it yourself the guys at wherever you get it are pretty cheap labor

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I'm guessing you don't want to go with an aftermarket head unit? those installs are quite easy and if you don't wanna get into it yourself the guys at wherever you get it are pretty cheap labor

As stated in the first post, no. I've installed plenty myself, I just don't like the looks of them in that dash, IMO they don't look right at all.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
As stated in the first post, no. I've installed plenty myself, I just don't like the looks of them in that dash, IMO they don't look right at all.
This^

Plus, i want mine to appear factory, but kickass. I'll be adding a 5 channel amp and a 10 in sub to mine. Amping the dash and back speakers. Around my home, if you have a flashy headunit, you end up with busted window, it and any other valuables stolen... So i want to look stock...

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
This^

Plus, i want mine to appear factory, but kickass. I'll be adding a 5 channel amp and a 10 in sub to mine. Amping the dash and back speakers. Around my home, if you have a flashy headunit, you end up with busted window, it and any other valuables stolen... So i want to look stock...

Exactly. I want this truck to look pretty much original, really not doing much other than "restoration", and the old school radio is just way cool.

I live in the country but my girlfriend lives in an iffy neighbourhood in town...so having "nothing to steal" is a good thing.

Unless I get somebody with conclusive evidence against this thing, I think I'm going to pull the trigger and will post my install/results. All told it'll be about 40 bucks by the time I get it shipped here to Canada, so it's not too bad of a gamble

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year truck? My buddy had a monsoon grand prix stereo in his 97 and it looked decent then you would get a cd player too

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
this thing looks pretty legit... id love to hear how well it works once you get If, if you decided to get it.