Any one do a major restoration? Tranny, rear end, brakes engine, body, rebuilds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I need hope for my current project. I just got a 1996 GMC Sierra 2500. It has been sitting for a while so it needs a lot of stuff done. I know for sure the tranny needs a rebuild, engine needs new heads, body needs some paint and has a minor dent in the tail gate. Its been sitting for about 4 years so it needs new brakes, has some surface rust on the undercarriage components, basic tlc. I'm 19 with minimal mechanical experience (would love to learn more) and tight cash flow. I would love to do most of the work myself with some help from a few weekend mechanics haha. I have a daily driver so this a project truck that I would love to turn into a daily driver.

Any one done any major restoration? Post your pics (before, after) and give me some hope. Here's what I'm up against.

You must be registered for see images attach

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
that truck seriously isn't very bad... for that matter there's members on here that would snatch that truck up and turn it into a thing of beauty. the main thing I suggest for you is to take it slow, if it were me I would probably just search around and find a motor tranny combo for sale and swap it out. then slowly start tackling the appearance stuff. fwiw in my area I can get a vortec/4l60e combo used for around 500-1000 dollars depending on seller. it seems overwhelming when you look at the project as a whole, if you break it up into stages it's not that bad. seriously if I look at my truck now as a whole compared to where I want it, it's enough to wanna just give up, mine still needs tons of work to get where I ultimately want it.

sent from the eskanalierra lol

adinpoor

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
If it needs a tranny and motor why start with brakes? Im not trying to be a dick but wouldnt you wanna take care of the large issues first?

Adam

Reaction score
If it needs a tranny and motor why start with brakes? Im not trying to be a dick but wouldnt you wanna take care of the large issues first?

Adam

I'm not starting with brakes haha. I was naming one of the many things that it needs done. In definitely gonna start with finding an engine. I wanna rebuild the tranny with a vette servo and shift kit. I just wanted to see if anyone else had a major project when they first started. I know a lot if guys who just bought their truck the way it is with all the upgrades. Not that it bad to do that. Good on you if you did haha I just want to build my own truck

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I know what you mean I inherited my truck and its gonna be a a long slow build....and I mean ive had it for 3 years and its still not up to my daily driver standards. Good luck on the build its always nice to see vehicles restored instead of scrapped

Adam

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Lots of people have done complete restorations on these trucks. It's worth it if that's what YOU want to do. Are you going to just flog it off down the road or keep for another 20 years kinda thing. It's your call.
I started a couple years ago with my 94.. was still nowhere where I wanted it.. then I mopped it out.
If your going to do a full resto... keep 'er between the ditches when your done!

Reaction score
Now I never said she would never get dirty hahaha. I don't wanna restore it stock standard perfection but I do want to turn it into a fun daily/weekend driver. Like I said before, I have an 07 Dodge Ram that runs great but It has no after market parts. Its straight up stock. But with a HEMI who can complain. I want to make the sierra my little project. New engine, rebuilt tranny with uprgrades, 4-6 inch suspension, And for the sake of my sanity get rid of that horrid burgundy interior.