Any MPG Fans here??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance you have checked to see if your speed and mileage is accurate with those slightly taller wheels?

Rich
Nope, never thought about that. I’m sure it’s skewed a little bit.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003 suburban 5.3L 5 speed swap, that's a little off gas amount VS mileage came out to 19.8 and it was only 12-14 mpg with the automatic

The manual swap is what really kicked up my MPG. I know it's not a OBS but it works on same bases

Attachments

• image000000(5).jpg
    image000000(5).jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 4

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a reply about AREO:

I am a member here for a long time...https://ecomodder.com/

They too have done all of that and Hypermiling...some have done it all removed rear view mirrors and used back up cameras, removed windshield wipers, rain gutters, roof racks, boat tails and even belly pans....removed A/C systems, sealed the windows (GASP GASP) power steering, and fully closed off the grills (Overheating anyone??)

And gained a whopping 5MPG...too much work for such a small gain, plus you have a nightmare doing any repairs and you look insane.

IF MPG was the main, only goal, to the max I would look for one of the old 50MPG cars (there were some a decade or two ago) and see if I could improve on it....and I would be tooling around in a TINY TIN POS with no conforms, no room and no cargo room....

I will do the best I can with my full size cars and be both happy and damned with them.

Rich

PS NOT INSANE...I have the reports to prove it.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am aware a stick shift can save a MPG or two.....but it is a van and I have been stuck in hours long trafic jams...a clutch scares me to death...

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I’d be and am happy with anything north of 15-17 city/highway.
1996 K1500 5.7 RCLB"

Consider a second over drive?

Rich

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I’d be and am happy with anything north of 15-17 city/highway.
1996 K1500 5.7 RCLB"

Consider a second over drive?

Rich
My truck gets that now. Honestly a rectangular shaped vehicle(a van) wouldn’t be my choice for increasing mpg. Seems like you’ve been at this for a looong time without much success. I suppose eventually the wheel can be reinvented - with enough money.
I am spending a lot of money and time doing so.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I suppose eventually the wheel can be reinvented - with enough money.

That was the point to my aero response, there are easy ways to gain MPG on the highway or there are other more expensive ways, if it takes 150k+ miles to recoup the initial expense then its up to the buyer to justify if its worth it or not.

I know where the OP is going with this thread but it really comes down to a cost VS benefit analysis. I tried to go down this rabbit hole with a S10 Blazer back when I was in college in 2008 and I got an amazing 22-24MPG out of it. Then I realized that I could have 2 or more vehicles and have a 40+ MPG daily driver and full size trucks for truck stuff. If I drive the trucks over a long distance, I draft a semi and I gain 2-5MPG.

Just trying to say that if you have the means, have multiple vehicles... the hyper-MPG thing has been proven back in the late 2000's and not much has changed since then.

Just Nobody

Reaction score
That was the point to my aero response, there are easy ways to gain MPG on the highway or there are other more expensive ways, if it takes 150k+ miles to recoup the initial expense then its up to the buyer to justify if its worth it or not.

I know where the OP is going with this thread but it really comes down to a cost VS benefit analysis. I tried to go down this rabbit hole with a S10 Blazer back when I was in college in 2008 and I got an amazing 22-24MPG out of it. Then I realized that I could have 2 or more vehicles and have a 40+ MPG daily driver and full size trucks for truck stuff. If I drive the trucks over a long distance, I draft a semi and I gain 2-5MPG.

Just trying to say that if you have the means, have multiple vehicles... the hyper-MPG thing has been proven back in the late 2000's and not much has changed since then.
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI, for just that reason, fuel mileage.