Any help at all im begging anyone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

that97hoe

Reaction score
Hey you guys i’m looking for any help i can get for myself. i have a 97 tahoe 4wd that i picked up a core and had it rebuilt due to my uncle seizing rod bearings in the old one. the problem here lies with the new engines oil pressure. i’ve just pulled it back out due to having low oil pressure at idle when warm only. my uncle thinks he might not have put a cam bearing in all the way? i’m just looking to see what y’all think. i’m only 22 and just had my fourth and final wrist surgery so take it easy i’ve been forced to learn slow.

Attachments

• 03D3E1D4-7866-4602-91E8-44A6AEE52167.jpeg
    03D3E1D4-7866-4602-91E8-44A6AEE52167.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 17
  • B9F2D2FE-5292-420B-8291-EDE7542D55CB.jpeg
    B9F2D2FE-5292-420B-8291-EDE7542D55CB.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 16

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey thank you so much i’m actually meeting him at the shop right now so i can learn while it gets tore down all the way again. i got a melling high volume, m155hv, oil pump to put in as well this time since i just put a new stock pump in
Under the rear main cap there is a oil gallery plug that a machine shop will remove for hot tanking. I Forget the exact measurement, but it sits in the block about 1.7 inches or so. Not sure if it will cause a low pressure issue but check that it's there.

Depends on how it was rebuilt. What works for a race engine is not necessarily good for a street engine. eg: close to .003 on the bearings, excessive rod side clearance, etc.

10psi @idle is enough.

that97hoe

Reaction score
Under the rear main cap there is a oil gallery plug that a machine shop will remove for hot tanking. I Forget the exact measurement, but it sits in the block about 1.7 inches or so. Not sure if it will cause a low pressure issue but check that it's there.

Depends on how it was rebuilt. What works for a race engine is not necessarily good for a street engine. eg: close to .003 on the bearings, excessive rod side clearance, etc.

10psi @idle is enough.
yes sir thank you. checked with manual guage and it was under ten. rose under acceleration though

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 shows about 12--15 psi hot idle in gear. Once in awhile, it'll drop low enough that the "Check Gages" light flashes. I'm not enthused about that; but I'm also not worried. Yours seems worse than that.

As said...pull the timing cover, verify that the oil gallery plugs are still in place. There's two or three in front by the cam; press-fit, sometimes they pop out.

The plug under the rear main cap shouldn't affect oil pressure, but if it's missing, you don't get oil flow through the filter. The oil in the filter is stagnant.

The next small-block on my agenda is getting the Melling M99HV-S "big block" oil pump kit. It will require some minor mods to the windage tray for pickup tube clearance.