Another Parasitic Loss Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deven bullis

Employed by the big blue hexagon
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my truck dying quickly, around 2 days if i dont drive it. the battery is a year old NAPA brand 4 post, and its not bad, the alternator is working fine also. The terminals on the battery aren't corroded and are fine. The only thing i can think it is is a random wire or my remote start. I'm not the smartest about electronics so this is new to me, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One easy test would be to swap the battery with another that you are pretty sure is good. If it does the same thing you definitely know it isn't the battery. Check battery cables, grounds etc. Gotta start someplace.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my truck dying quickly, around 2 days if i dont drive it. the battery is a year old NAPA brand 4 post, and its not bad, the alternator is working fine also. The terminals on the battery aren't corroded and are fine. The only thing i can think it is is a random wire or my remote start. I'm not the smartest about electronics so this is new to me, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Disconnect negative battery terminal, then connect one end of multimeter up to the negative terminal of the battery, and the other end up to the disconnected negative lead and switch the multimeter to read amps. Anything over 0.020 is considered a parasitic drain. I think after chasing one down on mine I had it down to 0.005. Keep the leads connected and go to the fuse box. Pull one fuse at a time until you see the amps go below the threshold (you can replace the fuses if there's no measurable drop). That should isolate the circuit you're looking at. Next you'll want to find the circuit diagram for that circuit, and start disconnecting components from that circuit. If you disconnect one and the draw goes away, that's the problem. There may be a problem with the wiring somewhere in the middle, but it's usually a component, a harness, or a damaged wire within a few inches of the harness, so make sure you visually inspect everything as you go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk