Andy’s 1995 CCLB 7.4L TBI to Vortec Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenwoods are good stereos! I have Kenwood's in both of my trucks, definitely worth the money imo. It's a shame that every car stereo went to the 13-band EQ after 2015 or 16, I'm thankful that my 98 still has the 3-band EQ stereo, which is easier to mess with, especially since I have a sub in it.

<rant> I hate how they are reducing the amount of stereos with a CD player. Not all of us want to move away from CDs, I still like to play them every now and again. </end rant>

I haven’t messed with it a whole lot, but I think it only has a 3 band EQ. Assuming you mean bass, mid, and treble? I was also torn about giving up the CD capability. But then when I asked myself when was the last time I played a CD, I couldn’t remember when! It’s usually just the radio or pandora or something. Honestly it was the HD radio that steered me towards this one. What I didn’t know it would do was randomly switch between HD and analog randomly depending on the signal strength. It’s kind of annoying because it gets a lot louder on HD.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Small update. Ordered a key fob from these guys:

www.keylessentryremotefob.com

It was “out of stock” for a while but when I got an email saying it’s available I jumped on it. I didn’t want a cheap generic one that has a button for the trunk lock. I wanted an original GM truck fob. Yeah it’s used but I’m happy for $26 shipped to my door. Grounded pin #8 on the OBD2 ALDL connector, pushed a button on the remote, and voila! Remote keyless entry for the first time since I’ve owned the truck. Keep in mind this is using the ‘95 keyless entry module and cab crossover harness with the ‘00 everything else.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also put her to work over the weekend hauling multiple loads of mulch!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a Keyfob for my truck for a couple weeks now, I can't find any that will work with 96 but I can find 97 and up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What are the year breaks for the keyless entry? I've never seen the kind Andy has before.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard a slight squealing coming from the brakes the other day. Decided to take a closer look and found a leaking wheel seal. This normally wouldn’t be surprising except for the fact that I replaced both seals when I first got the truck so it’s only been roughly 10k miles. The seal surface doesn’t look that bad at all. Maybe slightly rough, but not worn or grooved. I’ll polish it with some 600 grit and put a new seal in and hope for the best. Still debating what to do about the semi oil soaked shoes.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heard a slight squealing coming from the brakes the other day. Decided to take a closer look and found a leaking wheel seal. This normally wouldn’t be surprising except for the fact that I replaced both seals when I first got the truck so it’s only been roughly 10k miles. The seal surface doesn’t look that bad at all. Maybe slightly rough, but not worn or grooved. I’ll polish it with some 600 grit and put a new seal in and hope for the best. Still debating what to do about the semi oil soaked shoes.

Oil soaked shoes will last forever haha

I've had this happen on my deuce, I just clean the **** outta the shoes with brake cleaner. Seems to work

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil soaked shoes will last forever haha

I've had this happen on my deuce, I just clean the **** outta the shoes with brake cleaner. Seems to work

Good to know! I’ve been soaking them in the parts washer overnight. Might give them a try first before just putting new ones on. Thanks!