an old work horse. 96 W/T 1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mater03

Reaction score
been looking for a truck for a wile now. always lived the gmt400 had one at my last job as a plow a 99 GMC 2500. grandpa also had 3 a 88, 93, and a 95 all silverado 1500 4x4s with manual case and all maroon with burgundy interior and grandpa cap

this truck is base (being a W/T is sort of a given) was used as a local oil field service truck for years then went to a local farmer where he moved a fifth wheel trailer full of round bales.

only option this truck has is the 4l60e auto other then that no boxes where checked

there is no cruise, no a/c, rubber floor mat, manual locks, manual windows, and the column does not even tilt

not 100% what my plans are yet. thinking LS but if the tired 4.3 fully gives up before then i have a 95 TBI 305 (roller block) i can convert to vortec top end pretty easy to swap in.

You must be registered for see images attach

the body is not bad at all truck mostly lived in a field never saw salt of winter but did see manure

the worse is this door edge being folded in

and some rust on the cab corners and the pass lower fender

truck came with 2 chrome sport rims tried to see if i could get two more and that was more then i wanted to pay so these will be listed locally

to make it derivable it has a brake line leak going to the rear brakes going to replace all lines and upgrade to a NBS master and deleted the ABS module.

after that going to back date the front end got a 88-93 black grill and the 88/89 quad sealed beams.

also going to back date the interior but switching over to a 88-93 interior. truck has no a/c or cruise so the wiring for it is a non-issue for me this will be a later project

will also lower the truck thinking 3" drop springs front axle flip rear with 1.5" lift shackles making it a 3/4.5 lower front rear

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I like these trucks, I had a 93 that was nearly the same config as yours outside of the newer interior/vortec. Had a roasted 4L60e so I 5 speed swapped it. Field rescues are the best, I've had a few!

If you were considering a LS swap a 4.8 or a 5.3 would rip in that thing. The plan for mine in the future was to make it a full on race truck but that never happened. If you really desired to go to the 88-94 dash it's going to be a pain to swap. All the heater controls (if you cared) are way different and if you wanted to keep them you'd have to reuse your current heater control box and shove it somewhere in the older dash. The fuse block is a pain too since it sits up so high in the dash on 95+ vs being low. Reverse wiring the gauge cluster is also a pain. Steering column mounting bracket welded to the firewall is different as well. I did the opposite going from a 94 dash to a 98 dash and I will never do it again unless I was going with custom gauges and the whole nine yards.

Mater03

Reaction score
heater control not worried with no A/C i looked at the 2 control pinouts and seems pretty doable. the base 88-93 heater only controls seem to be pretty similar

gauges don't scare me as i will be doing a 0411 swap on my factory harness so going to be repining a ton any way

the interior is not going to be any time soon though

Mater03

Reaction score
figured out the rpo codes on this thing. yup it is base LOL. has a higher rated towing capacity and brakes then what i was expecting though

A52 : SEAT, FRT BENCH
C5M : GVW RATING, 6100 LBS
DE2 : MIRROR O/S, LH & RH, DIRECT CONT, FOLDING, COLOR
E63 : BODY EQUIPMENT, FLEETSIDE, PUBX
FE9 : CERTIFICATION, EMISSION, FEDERAL
FW1 : MANUAL ELECTRIC CONTROL, RIDE AND HANDLING
GU6 : AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
JB5 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 6400 LBS
K60 : GENERATOR, 100 AMP
L35 : ENGINE, GAS, 6 CYL, 4.3L, CPI, V6, 90 DEG
M30 : TRANSMISSION, AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60E, ELECTRONIC
NF2 : EMISSION SYSTEM, FEDERAL, TIER 1
NG5 : REGISTRATION EMISSION, CERTIFICATION, FIFTY STATE (50) FIFTY STATE U.S. EMIS
NRQ : EXHAUST, CLOSE COUPLED
RSA : RESTRANT, FRONT SEAT, 208, AUTO, PASSIVE
SLL : ORDER MODIFICATION ORDERS SOLD
UM7 : RADIO, AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, CLOCK, ETR (BASE ON ALL MODELS)
UQ5 : SPEAKER SYSTEM, 4, DUAL FRT DR MTD, DUAL EXTD RGE
VP6 : NOISE CONTROL
VXS : VEHICLE COMPLETE
V43 : BUMPER PAINTED, REAR STEP WITH STEP PAD
V73 : ANTENNA, FIXED
XFL : TIRE FRONT P235/75R15-105S BW R/PE ST TL ALS
X81 : WORK TRUCK
X88 : CONVERSION NAME PLATE CHEVROLET
YD3 : FRONT AXLE, BASE EQUIPMENT FOR SCHEDULING, GVW PLATE
YD6 : REAR SPRING, BASE EQUIPMENT
YFL : TIRE REAR P235/75R15-105S BW R/PE ST TL ALS
ZFL : Tire: Spare P235/75R15 BW R/PE ST TL ALS 105S
ZY1 : COLOR COMBINATION, SOLID
1SW : PACKAGE OPTION 21
1SZ : UNT OPTION PACKAGE
26C : TRIM COMBINATION, CLOTH, NAVY
26I : INTERIOR TRIM NAVY
50U : PRIMARY COLOR, EXTERIOR WHITE
6WN : COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP
7WN : COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP

Mater03

Reaction score
grill

my nbs master also came in

Mater03

Reaction score
side markers came. going slow but winter and no room in garage

Mater03

Reaction score
started the swap got grill off and this truck does not stop amazing me at how little rot there is rad support is still black just dirty

figured out part of the headlight issue i was having driver side plug

passenger headlight

then found some leds i bought for some car going to get two more

Mater03

Reaction score
more parts came got an nos 454ss bowtie for cheap as some one priced it wrong on ebay and actually honored it

also got the quad lights

then not really related to this truck but for an old project that has gotten sold off a while back got a free 305 i was going to swap into a s15 jimmy. never happened

the 4.3 in this truck is pretty worn out so i might swap it in took the heads off and does not seem to bad i have vortec heads sitting around and can get a vortec intake easily and a different cam should be a decent hold over till the ls swap. even have a 7.3 powertroke turbo i got for free years ago and it seemed to do ok on a 5.0L ford for roadkill. who knows