Amp install question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am adding an amplifier to my front and rear speakers, already have one for my subs. My question is, is there a way to not waste the power coming from the stereo? Is there something that can go in line to prevent back feeding wattage from the amp to the stereo or vise versa so the speakers can use amp power and stereo power without damaging anything? I know diodes can be installed to prevent voltage back feed when more than 1 circuit is connected together so is there something similar for speaker connections? Thank you in advance.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No. Pick one or the other.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t guess I see what you are trying to do. I’ve never had a backfeed problem when running amps..I just use a good power cable and good splitter for the amps. I’ve never had the small power wire provide any issues.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe he's trying to combine speaker power from two different sources. Which is a terrible idea for a multitude of reasons.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was under the impression that he's trying to combine the output power of his head unit and an amplifier into the same set of speakers... I don't think he's talking about powering the amp or head unit.

castine917

Reaction score
I was under the impression that he's trying to combine the output power of his head unit and an amplifier into the same set of speakers... I don't think he's talking about powering the amp or head unit.
I'm reading as the same.

Must choose one source. If you run speaker wire from head unit to speaker and also speaker wire from amp to speaker it won't be just a feedback issue but also a sync issue. The wire from head unit will supply signal to your speaker before signal from head unit can go to amp and then to speaker. It would be sending an "echo" to your speakers that would cause distortion.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can only feed a speaker with power from one amplifier/source. if you run both the headunit speaker outputs and an amp on the same speaker you may damage something. aftermarket headunits only output like 15 watts per channel so its fairly negligible if you already have a 70 watt per channel aftermarket amp.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I was hoping there was a way to hook up amplifier power and stereo power to same speakers, as to not have speaker wires going unused. Maybe I will just add another set of mid range speakers in the back somewhere, maybe in the headliner and run the amp power to those instead of the pillar speakers.