Air conditioning questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is getting close to AC season(who am i kidding, around here i run AC at some point every month) and my trucks system is shot. I plan to replace the compressor, accumulator, hoses, orifice, and condenser.
Looking at condensers I occasionally see some that say they are for R134, but not many. Is there a difference, if so is an R134 condenser required?
I have read a bunch on the AC system and wanted to retro fit a Sanden but there seems to be only one kit available. That, along with the fact that I can not find a lot of comment or write ups, leads me to think I should just go OEM.
Single cab, '93, auto, 305, 180,000 miles.

Comments are appreciated!

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Yes 134a condensers are different. Don't run the older style you will regret it. The R134a refrigerant needs more time to transfer the heat and the condenser is set up to do that. That's why the R12 to R134a conversions were craptastic at the beginning. I would guess anything sold for that truck would be 134a.

See how much denser the row/fins are on the unit to the left?
You must be registered for see images

There aren't many good options for the R4 compressor. I had a run on remans through GM on my Nova. The third one worked. I was told GM no longer makes them new. Four Seasons used the be the ******* for AC parts, but I have seen their quality plummet over the last 15 years. Try and find a quality new compressor if possible, if not I'd go with the Delco reman. A good one isn't going to be cheap. The good companies started sourcing over seas the try and compete with the cheap import crap. People were only looking for price and it brought the quality for aftermarket parts way down. The trend has started to reverse but you'll definitely see a big difference in price for the quality part.

Why are you replacing the condenser? I see a lot of guys recommending it but 90% of the time it's not needed.

Last edited:

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was an R12 system originally. The compressor died, prior to my getting the truck. I pulled the orifice tube and it was a little dirty. Not like some I have seen but if I am going to the trouble to do this I want to do it as best as possible. Of course, the evaporator is too far into the dash to change unless it is bad so I am taking a chance on it being OK. All the other parts are relatively easy to R/R.
I see R12 and R134 compressors available but most of the condensers I see do not specify the refrigerant.
I am usually buying from Rockauto, though not their cheapest parts.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
In your case I would suggest changing the condenser. In 35 years of automotive repair I have seen 4 or 5 evaporators go bad Most of those were owner/shop induced punctures. The biggest PITA on the GMT400 is the dryer to evap connection. I don't know what GM did but they are a *****. I have seen a bunch of guys cross thread them.