Accidentally put 5w20 in today....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems this topic has been discussed, but just throwing my 2 cents in.

I would personally change the oil. Don't buy into the synthetic blend crap, imo. Either go all the way or stick with conventional.

I personally don't disagree with Lucas. I personally run Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer with every change at 5-7000kms with Mobil Delvac1 0w-40 full synthetic diesel oil. I wouldn't run a diesel oil in your vortec though, I have a TBI, I'm using the diesel oil for the extra zinc, to help keep the flat tappet cam alive, and the engine barely burns a drop of it.

Hastings/Baldwin filters are good brands. Wix is great. NAPA Gold filters aren't bad at all, far superior to a FRAM.

I'd go with what the other guy said and run a Mobil1 10w-30. Maybe go to a 0w if you can find one for the winter, my motor loves it. But we have -35C regularly here.

domcan1000

Reaction score
I may be a little off topic but I saw a lot of you saying that fram is not a good brand. I was wondering then what would be the best combo for my truck I have a 93 4.3l V6 rebuilt. I usually run Pennzoil 5w-30 regular conventional oil and a fram cheapest I can find. This is always what my dad has told me to use and I am up for an oil change and willing to try something different if it would be better for my engine.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Fram and Pennzoil are not bad brands, they just make products that vary greatly in price and quality. For what it's worth, I'm currently running a gold Fram Ultra filter. The last owner of my truck ran nothing but conventional yellow bottle Pennzoil with orange Fram ExtraGard filters. If that was such a horrible combo, I doubt my motor would be in such good shape as it is now at almost 250k miles.

Now a lot of guys on here, like me, spent a lot of time, money and energy on our trucks. So no doubt we want nothing but the best... Which means, a lot of us are going to look down on lower-end products.

Point is, at least when it comes to oil and filters, a lot of what we say is crap may actually be decent on a wider scale.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

domcan1000

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I think for now I will keep with fram and Pennzoil. I think Ill need a new engine somewhere down the line anyways seeing as I apparently am not getting very good compression in the 4th cylinder..(at least thats what the mechanic said..she still runs awesomely)