Accidentally put 5w20 in today....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And I still would change the oil. 5W20 means it's 20W at operating temperature, which is notably thinner than the 30W it's expecting and designed for.

That is wrong sir. 5w20 means it has a viscosity of 5 at 0 degrees and 20 at 212 degrees. If 212 degrees is your operating temperature, you have a problem...

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
True, I see what you're saying and I'm open to suggestions. My reasoning was that I have 235,*** and I figured the Lucas would add some extra coating, etc. The High Mileage oil says it's "Blended Synthetic", which I was told synthetic would be a waste, if I haven't used it from the start.

I am just trying to maintain my ol' girl as best I can and I appreciate your's and everyone else's input..
I run synthetic and I didn't start out with it and I have no leaks anymore

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is wrong sir. 5w20 means it has a viscosity of 5 at 0 degrees and 20 at 212 degrees. If 212 degrees is your operating temperature, you have a problem...

You're going to split hairs over 195° vs. 212° ? Really? And I'm the one with the problem?

So you're going to run out and fill your engine with 5W20 from now on because it's OK, although it's not the grade GM instructs you to use?

I swear, some people argue just to argue. F'in troll..

Richard

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
True, I see what you're saying and I'm open to suggestions. My reasoning was that I have 235,*** and I figured the Lucas would add some extra coating, etc. The High Mileage oil says it's "Blended Synthetic", which I was told synthetic would be a waste, if I haven't used it from the start.

I am just trying to maintain my ol' girl as best I can and I appreciate your's and everyone else's input..

If you want to treat her the best you can, this is my suggestion. Go get a 5Q jug of mobil1 10w30 (summer) at walmart (way cheaper) then stop by a parts store on the way home and pickup either a wix, mobil1 or acdelco oil filter. A few years ago i was running lucas just like you, but have since learned a lot and now run straight mobil1. Did not experience any leaking or burning oil and i made the switch to mobil1 at 260K Miles. I currently have 328K miles with no engine issues at all. Just sharing my experience.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
AC Delco oil filters have went downhill dramatically in the recent past, see the study at www.gmtruckcentral.com. They are about on the level with Fram's orange ExtraGard filters now.

It's "magic" in a bottle. Any good quality oil is designed to do its job without adding anything to it. It's not any more complex than that; if you believe that Lucas gets you some benefit, I probably won't change your opinion. But mine is that you're wasting your money.

And I still would change the oil. 5W20 means it's 20W at operating temperature, which is notably thinner than the 30W it's expecting and designed for.

The engineers that design this stuff aren't dummies, no matter how smart we think we are...second-guessing them is usually wrong.

Richard
Agreed. With that said, I wouldn't worry about it for now if you have to drive the truck, but get it changed ASAP.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
If you want to treat her the best you can, this is my suggestion. Go get a 5Q jug of mobil1 10w30 (summer) at walmart (way cheaper) then stop by a parts store on the way home and pickup either a wix, mobil1 or acdelco oil filter. A few years ago i was running lucas just like you, but have since learned a lot and now run straight mobil1. Did not experience any leaking or burning oil and i made the switch to mobil1 at 260K Miles. I currently have 328K miles with no engine issues at all. Just sharing my experience.

What do you mean by 10w30(summer) and I always use Wix filters.

I searched Walmart and there's Extended Perf, High Mileage, and just a straight Full Synth

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
either straight Mobil1 or extended performance. My manual for my truck states to use 5w30 in colder weather (winter) and 10w30 in hotter weather (summer). 5w30 provides easier starts and better lubrication during cold starts.

All Mobil1 products are full synthetic, don't confuse it with Mobil super, that's conventional.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
either straight Mobil1 or extended performance. My manual for my truck states to use 5w30 in colder weather (winter) and 10w30 in hotter weather (summer). 5w30 provides easier starts and better lubrication during cold starts.

All Mobil1 products are full synthetic, don't confuse it with Mobil super, that's conventional.

:waytogo: Thanks!

Jewbacca

Reaction score
You are fine. But for your peace of mind you should change it. By the why you are talking anything that goes wrong with the truck you are going to blame on the wrong oil.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Just drain the oil and replace. Don't worry about what's in the filter. Cheap insurance and quick to do. That oil is going to be very thin at operating temp and may have a negative effect.