Accidentally put 5w20 in today....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
So I had a bunch of things on my mind, when I grabbed what I thought was 10w30 at the local parts place. Got home, started the change and was pouring it in, and I noticed that it looked thinner! Fcking hell.....5w20 on the 5qt bottle!!! :nono:

I always run a qt of Lucas with every change, so I'm hoping that everything will be fine till the next change! I only drive 10 miles a day roundtrip for work. But I live in Arizona hot hot hot! And 3 months would put me into July, peak hotness!

What do you guys think?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Put the correct oil in and quit adding that other junk to it. IMO. Your engine.

Richard

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
it makes air bubbles.

being in arizona, I would be inclined to change it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
:waytogo:

Lucas is junk, how so?

It's "magic" in a bottle. Any good quality oil is designed to do its job without adding anything to it. It's not any more complex than that; if you believe that Lucas gets you some benefit, I probably won't change your opinion. But mine is that you're wasting your money.

And I still would change the oil. 5W20 means it's 20W at operating temperature, which is notably thinner than the 30W it's expecting and designed for.

The engineers that design this stuff aren't dummies, no matter how smart we think we are...second-guessing them is usually wrong.

Richard

bullas1022

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oils oil its not gonna kill your engine if you have the wrong weight of oil. It might cause issues if low or no oil at all

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
It's "magic" in a bottle. Any good quality oil is designed to do its job without adding anything to it. It's not any more complex than that; if you believe that Lucas gets you some benefit, I probably won't change your opinion. But mine is that you're wasting your money.

And I still would change the oil. 5W20 means it's 20W at operating temperature, which is notably thinner than the 30W it's expecting and designed for.

The engineers that design this stuff aren't dummies, no matter how smart we think we are...second-guessing them is usually wrong.

Richard

True, I see what you're saying and I'm open to suggestions. My reasoning was that I have 235,*** and I figured the Lucas would add some extra coating, etc. The High Mileage oil says it's "Blended Synthetic", which I was told synthetic would be a waste, if I haven't used it from the start.

I am just trying to maintain my ol' girl as best I can and I appreciate your's and everyone else's input..