ac stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blsticms1

Reaction score
my ac stopped working last fall . I want to fix it before summer . I tried recharge and still blows hot air . where do I need to start looking ? ive been told orifis tube and also evaporator core . don't want to waste time or money by throwing parts at it , but want to fix it right . any help would be great

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE???

Does the compressor engage?

Has the refrigerant leaked-out again? At the age these vehicles are, you might as well open the system, and replace EVERY O-ring/seal. Leak testing is VERY important; and not easy or convenient.

My '97 K2500 was low on refrigerant. Recharged. Compressor wouldn't engage. Low pressure cutout switch failed. Replaced switch--AC worked again. But I missed a refrigerant leak, and in two weeks the system was undercharged again.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the cap is actually the primary seal on the valve. The schrader is the secondary seal.
Doesn't seem reasonable to me...but what do I know? I'm not an engineer.

OTOH, I remember being told by my mentor a thousand years ago--before that bulletin was published--to be careful of the caps: "Tight, but not too tight".

blsticms1

Reaction score
98 k1500 , compresser does kick on . I jump low switch to get it to take Freon , it never got cool . not sure where to start . don't want to just throw parts at it

Does the compressor engage?

Has the refrigerant leaked-out again? At the age these vehicles are, you might as well open the system, and replace EVERY O-ring/seal. Leak testing is VERY important; and not easy or convenient.

My '97 K2500 was low on refrigerant. Recharged. Compressor wouldn't engage. Low pressure cutout switch failed. Replaced switch--AC worked again. But I missed a refrigerant leak, and in two weeks the system was undercharged again.