AC condenser replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1995z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to replace my ac condenser this weekend. It seems pretty straight forward but was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A heat gun and plenty of penetrating oil does wonders for the connections. They still have a tendency to want to round off, especially on the condenser side since the fitting is aluminum. A good set of wrenches is a must, such as SnapOn FD+ or Proto ASD, anything that bites well on the open end. If the wrench starts rounding off the fitting on the condenser side, a small pipe wrench with good, sharp jaws will bite where everything else just makes it worse. I would suggest heating and spraying the connections several times before you attempt the remove them. Be prepared to buy new lines, if all else fails. Also, try tightening them just a bit before you loosen them, as it can help break the corrosion loose. A big set of flare nut wrenches are ideal, but are rarely found in those sizes without spending big bucks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SwatDawg15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like he said the hardest part is getting the lines loose. When I replaced my AC system, I tried heat, penetrating, eat. Would not break loose. I was replacing everything so I ended up cutting them off. Even then locked it in a vice and still couldn't break it will a pipe wrench. Even drilled a small hole and introduced more oil then heat. No Joy lol. My truck is a 94, and factory system. So just be prepared for that part. If you can't get it broke free, your going to need new lines as well.