AC compressor upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting ready for my engine rebuild on my 98 K1500, thinking about all the "might as well do this while I'm in here..." stuff. Is there a compressor upgrade that's worth installing? My compressor is OEM. Still works, but I figured I'd ask y'all. I see Sanden 4440 is a common swap? Does it perform better than stock?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting ready for my engine rebuild on my 98 K1500, thinking about all the "might as well do this while I'm in here..." stuff. Is there a compressor upgrade that's worth installing? My compressor is OEM. Still works, but I figured I'd ask y'all. I see Sanden 4440 is a common swap? Does it perform better than stock?

I am about to swap a Four Seasons 88947 in place of a Sanden 4261 in a system that is under performing in this heat that I suspect the Sanden has something to do with. Will let you know what happens. On the other hand the front ac was working great before I fixed the rear system by replacing the rear expansion valve that was stuck closed. It was 109F here and the thing cooled into the 40s with both the front and rear unit in operation going down the highway. That being said I want the system back in the low 30s where it ran for years prior to changing to the Sanden.

Last edited:

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what rand is the best for the ac upgrade have not seen a definite definitive answer yet on what brand is best and model also is there a way to upgrade the fan to make it blow more man cuz I mean they seen these things do not blow very much out of the freaking Dash is there a way to upgrade to a bigger fan or something like that

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have airflow problems, you'd do well to verify that
1. The evaporator core isn't plugged with debris,
2. The blower fan is getting proper power without excessive voltage drop,
3. The blower motor spins the right direction, and
4. The blower motor fan is intended to spin the right direction.

I had a NAPA HVAC blower motor in my '88 for years. When it got noisy, I put an AC-Delco motor in--the Delco was heavier and more-powerful than the NAPA unit it replaced.

The evaporator catches most of the crap that falls through the plenum and gets past the fan motor.
You must be registered for see images attach