Ac Compressor cracks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles0

Reaction score
Cracks appeared on top of my ac Compressor where the bolt hold down the hi and low ac lines. I can still get it bolted down tight but it leaks from the cracks now the ac Compressor itself still functions fine. Should I try the cheap quick fix with JB welds or get a compressor for a junkyard and hope it works "(normally they never do)" if it doesn't work I could just trade the inside components from my old compressor to the junkyard compressor to use the none cracked case...or Should I Just pay 150 to get a all new ac Compressor...
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cracks appeared on top of my ac Compressor where the bolt hold down the hi and low ac lines. I can still get it bolted down tight but it leaks from the cracks now the ac Compressor itself still functions fine. Should I try the cheap quick fix with JB welds or get a compressor for a junkyard and hope it works "(normally they never do)" if it doesn't work I could just trade the inside components from my old compressor to the junkyard compressor to use the none cracked case...or Should I Just pay 150 to get a all new ac Compressor...

What year truck do u have? What style compressor (sanden, R4?). U need a new compressor, I don't think JB weld will work on that dude. The screw may have been over tighten, hence the crack. I would say be safe get another compressor. Check the U pull it junkyard and spin the clutch to make sure it's good and if it has freon in the system 9 times outta 10 it was working. Or check local shops that sell only a/c parts as they maybe cheaper. Change the dryer ($20) and the orfice tube ($3) and ur good. Do a vacuum and put the right amount of freon and ur golden ! I did all that to my LS swapped gmt truck 3 years ago, and a/c is still freezing ice cold. And I did it at my house, with a fridge compressor to vacuum the system

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a new compressor. That's a catastrophic failure waiting to happen. The chances of you swapping parts from a junkyard unit and getting a working compressor are pretty slim. Get a compressor, oil it properly, replace the orifice tube, have a proper vacuum and charge put on it, and enjoy the cold air.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

miles0

Reaction score
What year truck do u have? What style compressor (sanden, R4?). U need a new compressor, I don't think JB weld will work on that dude. The screw may have been over tighten, hence the crack. I would say be safe get another compressor. Check the U pull it junkyard and spin the clutch to make sure it's good and if it has freon in the system 9 times outta 10 it was working. Or check local shops that sell only a/c parts as they maybe cheaper. Change the dryer ($20) and the orfice tube ($3) and ur good. Do a vacuum and put the right amount of freon and ur golden ! I did all that to my LS swapped gmt truck 3 years ago, and a/c is still freezing ice cold. And I did it at my house, with a fridge compressor to vacuum the system

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
I have a 98 crew cab with a Driveworks Reman GM HT6 Compressor. since I live pretty close to my local u pull I'll try the junkyard first. I can always take it back within 30 days for a full refund if it doesn't work but 95% of the time when I look in there GM truck section the first part that are taken are the compressor are the any other gm vehicles that use the same Kind of Compressor I need?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vans with the 5.7 or 5.0 of the same years, and S10/Sonoma/Blazer/Jimmy with the 4.3L of similar vintage to your truck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JasonLC

Reaction score
dude, you can get a new compressor from rockauto for under 200 bucks, comes with orfice dryer compressor and the gaskets, mine had oil in it already and it took 2lbs of freon 134a.
Blows ice cubes out the vents man