Abs module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A pieper

Reaction score
Im not sure if this has been covered or not ive searched all over and could only find the same answer. I have a 99 suburban 2wd 5.7 and i just redid the brakes all the way around also replaced the master cylinder. From what i understand you have to use a scan tool to bleed the abs module. I was wondering if there was a way to jump sum wires to activate the abs... Ive heard that if you drive on a gravel road and activate abs it will bleed but there are no gravel roads anywhere near me and i dont feel safe driving my truck a far distance to hope this will work. Any answers would be gratefully appreciated

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
I remember reading on here before somewhere that you can do it manually. IIRC you can bleed it at the fittings by the abs module.....

Sent from Robl@nd

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No bleeder fittings on the later 4WAL modules. The early 92-94 units used on Suburbans had 'em if I recall. May vary depending on manufacturer as there was more than one.

Richard

A pieper

Reaction score
Okay i tried to do the hravel road trick today... Couldnt get abs to work... Brakes just locked up. There are no lights on the dash bulbs are good all fuses are good...am i missing something?

ernjohn

Reaction score
after bleeding the brakes normally, how does the pedal feel? does the truck stop well or are you practically standing on the pedal hoping it'll stop?

A pieper

Reaction score
Pedal goes 3/4 down then feels good... Stops good with front brakes.... I dont think the rears brakes are out far enough to grab.... Will the pedal still feel spongey if the rear brakes arent grabbing?

ernjohn

Reaction score
the rear (drums, I presume) brakes contribute a lot towards getting a firm pedal. if everything is adjusted properly and if the pedal is still soft then there could still be some air in the system.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the drums dont drag a little they arent adjusted out enough. Not dragging enough to get hot, but you should be able to hear them.