ABS Module Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a ‘99 Chevrolet k3500.

I did some work the other night and left a rag under the hood, which ended up catching on fire on the exhaust manifold. It toasted the ABS wiring which in result shorted out the ABS module.

I was on my way to work when the brakes went out, so I dropped it at the shop. They said they can’t find a module anywhere, so I started looking myself and it’s pretty slim Pickens. It’s an obsolete part and no local junk yards have it.

I’m thinking I’m going to have it towed home in the next day or so if a part doesn’t show up.

I’m Wondering if anyone knows a good source for this thing. Or if there’s a good way to bypass the ABS until I get something else worked out?

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the brakes would work just the same, even if the module was toasted? Meaning, they would stop the truck, just wouldn't have anti-lock if you needed it. How exactly are the brakes not working?

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a ‘99 Chevrolet k3500.

I did some work the other night and left a rag under the hood, which ended up catching on fire on the exhaust manifold. It toasted the ABS wiring which in result shorted out the ABS module.

I was on my way to work when the brakes went out, so I dropped it at the shop. They said they can’t find a module anywhere, so I started looking myself and it’s pretty slim Pickens. It’s an obsolete part and no local junk yards have it.

I’m thinking I’m going to have it towed home in the next day or so if a part doesn’t show up.

I’m Wondering if anyone knows a good source for this thing. Or if there’s a good way to bypass the ABS until I get something else worked out?

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.
I know someone who replaced the module with t fittings bro get rid of the abs. It worked although I don't really recommend it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the brakes are pretty much gone, when the pedal hits the floor they lock up and the ABS light comes on. All the wires to the module burned up. I asked the shop to fix the wiring and then I’ll get the truck home. I was wondering what happen if I pull the ABS relay/fuse?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Pulling the fuse to the ABS disables the unit from working in the event of a wheel lockup situation. I'm not sure how long that fire burned for, but you might've scorched something else? Might want to check your brake hose on the driver side, too and see if it's damaged. As said earlier, your brakes should still work unless an internal seal got roasted somewhere? I'm spitballin' here. Let us know what you find!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On that old of a truck I'd be replacing the brake hoses anyway if they haven't been replaced recently. They'll collapse internally and lock your brakes up, ask me how I know this!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulling the fuse to the ABS disables the unit from working in the event of a wheel lockup situation. I'm not sure how long that fire burned for, but you might've scorched something else? Might want to check your brake hose on the driver side, too and see if it's damaged. As said earlier, your brakes should still work unless an internal seal got roasted somewhere? I'm spitballin' here. Let us know what you find!

Yeah, the brakes should work even if the ABS module doesn't. I think the ABS is like a valve that pulses the brake pressure to prevent wheel lockup in a panic brake application or wet weather.

On my Silverado GMT-800 the module finally went out. They are under the frame rail on those models are known to go out. The brakes work just fine, but once I stopped in traffic and truck did go sideways a bit because wheels locked up, kind of like in the old days.

Is "slim Pickens" the manufacturer? I'm not familiar with this model. My 2000 K3500 looks just like your Avatar photo and has a "Kelsey Hayes" module. I wonder if you can just install one of them. I bet the brake connections are the same. BTW, mine has hardlines coming from the ABS module.