ABS delete on Vortec trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Im asking if the whole ABS system can be literally REMOVED from the truck. Not just unplugged.

Okay, maybe we'll just address the actual question in the thread and drop all the bs.

Yes, you can remove the abs unit.

But you will need to install a proportioning valve block assembly.

Older trucks used a distribution block/proportioning valve combo.

In the later abs trucks, the proportioning function is incorporated into the abs manifold assembly. Remove the Kelsey Hayes unit and you remove the proportioning valve.

Simple matter to plumb one in or install an adjustable unit if you can bend tube and do double flares.

I'm a fan of adjustable since it allows you to swap to rear discs layer if you want and its just a turn of the knob to set it up properly.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, maybe we'll just address the actual question in the thread and drop all the bs.

Yes, you can remove the abs unit.

But you will need to install a proportioning valve block assembly.

In the later abs trucks, it is incorporated In the abs manifold assembly. Remove the Kelsey Hayes unit and you remove the proportioning valve.

Simple matter to plumb on in or install an adjustable unit.

I'm a fan of adjustable since it allows you to swap to rear discs layer if you want and its just a turn of the knob to set it up properly.

Finally. Thank you Great White, I can always count on you. As for the proportioning valve, where is a good place to get one? And its only needed on the front correct?
Actually I have one, it came with my Dana 44. Ill see if I can get that one to work for it, but incase I cant, just google it and take one from there? Or is there a specific place to get one from?

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it leaking from the ABS system? little bit of plumbing the lines to get it completely bypassed.

If its not leaking from the ABS system, just leave it. and fix the leak.

Why leave it if I don't have ABS anyways? My 1979 Dana 44 nor the Dana 60 has ABS, so no point to really leaving the system there

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Finally. Thank you Great White, I can always count on you. As for the proportioning valve, where is a good place to get one? And its only needed on the front correct?
Actually I have one, it came with my Dana 44. Ill see if I can get that one to work for it, but incase I cant, just google it and take one from there? Or is there a specific place to get one from?

Proportioning valve is what determines how much pressure goes to the front and rear brakes. It changes with everything from vehicle weight to brake type.

For example: rear drums will have a different pressure directed to them vice rear discs due to the braking characteristics and capability.

You can use one from an older truck that is similar in configuration to yours, or you can get an adjustable from a place like jegs, summit, etc.

The idea is to have youR rears and front lock up at similar points. An adjustable unit let's you dial this in.

On abs trucks, you can "sort of" get away with swapping rear discs on for drums without the adjustable valve because the abs won't let you lock up the rears by design. Discs will try to lock up sooner than drums (especially on an unloaded pickup) but the abs just does its thing and you never notice...

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Search on here 1990 RWAL removal. It talks about it if you read through it.

Sent from my 350 TBI powered iPhone

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Proportioning valve is what determines how much pressure goes to the front and rear brakes. It changes with everything from vehicle weight to brake type.

For example: rear drums will have a different pressure directed to them vice rear discs due to the braking characteristics and capability.

You can use one from an older truck that is similar in configuration to yours, or you can get an adjustable from a place like jegs, summit, etc.

The idea is to have youR rears and front lock up at similar points. An adjustable unit let's you dial this in.

On abs trucks, you can "sort of" get away with swapping rear discs on for drums without the adjustable valve because the abs won't let you lock up the rears by design. Discs will try to lock up sooner than drums (especially on an unloaded pickup) but the abs just does its thing and you never notice...

Ok I was misunderstood on what a proportioning valve did. So for the fronts, id just need a T fitting after the valve to go to both the fronts?
And then the rears just run straight to the distribution block on the rear axle?