About to do some major bodywork...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winsleydale

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 1995 C1500 W/T that's been in my family as long as I have, in fact according to the build sheet, we even have the same birthday!

It's seen better days and later this Spring or Summer, I'm going to undertake a full body restoration, and hopefully a full mechanical restoration shortly thereafter. (The body's far worse for wear than the chassis and suspension, else I would do those first)

The problem is that I have done exactly zero body work on anything before. that said, I'm decently mechanically apt and a quick learner, but I'm still pretty nervous.

I have to replace my driver side floor pan and rocker, and my passenger side cab corner, and the whole bed.

I bought a parts truck for the hood, bed and cab corner, and I got the full floor pan and rocker from the interwebs, along with a driver door, tailgate, rad support and both fenders.

I have a lot of welding to do and a fair amount of body sealing as well, and then the whole process of painting... Any advice you all have, or if there's anybody near metro Detroit who is able and willing to lend a hand, would be much appreciated!

---------------

Side note, I am happy to sell parts off the parts truck - it's another 95 W/T. Has a running 4.3 in it, manual trans is spoken for as of right now but anything else, just ask.

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are some great videos on youtube on rust repair

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
i like this guys attitude on the work

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
Do like I did knowing nothing years ago... I worked days so I enrolled in a night Body and Paint class at my local city college... The teacher was a former body and paint pro who knew his job... after the basic safety and other low level intro you could bring in your own car to work on which saved me a ton of money I didn't have at the time... I got the knowledge and got to use the schools spray booth and other equipment... a win win!

Winsleydale

Reaction score
Do like I did knowing nothing years ago... I worked days so I enrolled in a night Body and Paint class at my local city college... The teacher was a former body and paint pro who knew his job... after the basic safety and other low level intro you could bring in your own car to work on which saved me a ton of money I didn't have at the time... I got the knowledge and got to use the schools spray booth and other equipment... a win win!
There's an idea. There are lots of small colleges near me.