Grill swap 88-93 to 94-98?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

400ss clone

Reaction score
I have a 97 step-side truck, and I recently bought a 454ss grill the year of the model it was for was an 88-93 and the grill I have currently on is a 94-98 model. I was wondering what procedures and operations I have to do in order to do the grill swap and if is it even possible. Are there any reference videos or tutorials on how to do the grill swap? I know grill swaps are usually the other way around but I prefer the more squared and flat look of the grill of the 88-93 instead of the more bulk around one from the 94-98 ones

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve done this swap before and it’s pretty easy. All you need is the 88-93 grill and the 88-93 filler piece that goes between the grill and bumper. The 94-98 parking lamps will work in the older grill but the 88-93 ones will sit a little more flush and look better. Not totally necessary though.

The 94-98 grill clips onto the bumper filler piece for the bottom, and has bolts on the top. The 88-93 grill has the same bolt locations for the top, but for the bottom, it has one bolt on each side, instead of clipping onto the filler piece. On the 88-93, the bumper filler piece is just connected to the grill, it isn’t bolted into the truck like the 94-98 filler piece.

For the lower 2 bolts on the 88-93 grill, you need 2 of the little plastic screw holes and 2 matching screws. It’s the same type of screws and plastic hole things that are used for mounting the parking lamps into the grill, so you can just steal 2 of them from the other grill and use them for mounting the 88-93 grill to the truck.

Last edited:

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I’ve done this swap before and it’s pretty easy. All you need is the 88-93 grill and the 88-93 filler piece that goes between the grill and bumper. The 94-98 parking lamps will work in the older grill but the 88-93 ones will sit a little more flush and look better. Not totally necessary though.

The 94-98 grill clips onto the bumper filler piece for the bottom, and has bolts on the top. The 88-93 grill has the same bolt locations for the top, but for the bottom, it has one bolt on each side, instead of clipping onto the filler piece. On the 88-93, the bumper filler piece is just connected to the grill, it isn’t bolted into the truck like the 94-98 filler piece.

For the lower 2 bolts on the 88-93 grill, you need 2 of the little plastic screw holes and 2 matching screws. It’s the same type of screws and plastic hole things that are used for mounting the parking lamps into the grill, so you can just steal 2 of them from the other grill and use them for mounting the 88-93 grill to the truck.
+1 also this
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media