A engine replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the stock 5.7l is just getting old in my truck. i am looking a doing something but want a little more go for the go pedal to pull from. will the stock tbi setup and fuel system work for this long block and no i haven't really researched it and yes i am lazy, but before i get my hopes up and sell my Harley for the funds i would like a general idea if this is even feasible.

http://www.tristarengines.com/catal...with-dart-shp-performance-aluminum-heads.html

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
The cam is what will hold you up, they don't list what they are using.

A solid rebuild with Vortec heads will probably appease your quest for more and keep the TBI happy.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That engine is not a direct replacement for your TBI. You would have to switch to a carb and HEI distributor set up to use that engine. Also the trans wont work if its automatic, without a control unit, or at least some custom tuning work, like fooling the ECM . If you shop around you should be able to find a direct replacement engine with around the same HP. I know there is a guy in Texas that will build you one for around $3000, but I don't remember where I saw that, maybe E-bay.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If it was me, I couldn't see dropping in an engine that's restricted by it's own technology.
Building a TBI motor up might get a smile performance-wise, but you sure ain't gonna be giggling like a schoolgirl.
For $3000.00, there'd be a 5.3 in my engine bay. With an 80e. 6.0? Sure! But hard on the budget.
So nothin' fancy. Pretty well stock with just a bit hotter cam & springs. No need to upgrade the f/rails, bigger injectors, larger GPH f/pump. None of that stuff.
A PCM411 + a tune.
In, clean, & runnin' properly.
It'll be a nice step up from the 5.7, & will probably get better mileage, too! Great for a daily.
And then once it's in, the potential is there to go a bit nutso, later. I mean, jeez! 6-freakin'-bolt mains!
But then, define 'later'. Lol! Like I said, 'if' it was my engine bay...well, I just can't leave things well enough alone. 'Later' could be 2 days or (ahem! cough-cough!) ...4 years!
Worth considering though.

Last edited:

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A swap like that would be fantastic considering all the potential but i was just sorta hoping look to do some real basic un bolt and bolt in sorta sway. Not get into the wiring and fuel system to much and be able to have some more fun. I guess before i sell Judy Rae (my bike) i need to do some more research and heck even some soul searching.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
If the funds aren't there, just do a solid rebuild with Vortec heads. You will get a nice boost in power simply from not having old wore out stuff anyway lol.

When these trucks were new, people complained about alot, but the power wasn't one of the thing's on the list.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Do you have experience with that engine shop? I'm leary of any crate motor recipe that doesn't list out all parts manufacturers. Why only boast some of the manufacturers? Your TBI setup will attach to it, but it will restrict even the moderate selection.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No experience with them, it would in fact be my 1st "crate" engine purchase. i got a long block for a 1984 Datsun 720 pickup from Autozone once. I just have read outstanding reviews for them. Both on their website and off. I guess i just let being lazy and broke besides selling my bike get me only looking at what i thought would be a plug and play option.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Gm has Goodwrench engines in that price range that actually are plug and play