A/C controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sup guys. On my 88 , the ac selections are either blow thru the dash or floor vents. Can't select at same time, the arrows roll completely in either direction. Do yours do the same?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
They don't stop if you press the same key again? Say it's on face vent, you press the floor vent on the left under face vent, the arrows start moving down, press the floor vent button again and it's supposed to stop at that point. Same with the defrost/floor button.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What AK said. They're a little tricky to get used to, I remember when I got my first GMT400 I thought the same thing. Then I figured out if you tap the button again it'll stop where it was, so long as you see the little arrow indicators moving.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They must not be working correctly then. I think one of the blend motors is faulty. Cause I get some air out the floor vent when it's on the dash only. I've tried pushing it after the arrows start moving, pushing the middle of the button, no dice. I've replaced the motor behind the radio and by the gas pedal but it still does the same thing. Haven't changed the one behind the glove box.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One by gas pedal is mode
One behind radio is temp
One behind glove box is recirc.

So that one wont be your problem. You need to see if you can see actuator move by gas pedal when you try moving to defrost, vent, etc

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one by the pedal might be bad. It works in all positions, defrost, dash, and floor vents. Just that in dash mode it still let's air pass to the floor.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That COULD be a broken blend door itself. That age, plastic is brittle AF... And the rubber foam stripping in there probably ISN'T in there anymore due to deteriorating.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if the 88 is setup like my 98, but the damper at the floor has rubber trim that eventually breaks off and causes air leak to the floor.

Pull panel at transmission hump (one screw and pivot down)...

You must be registered for see images attach

Red arrow points to torn flexible seal at edge of damper...

New damper...