A/C Compressor bogs down engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed recently that my AC is beginning to short cycle (10 second bursts) which I know is because I'm a bit low on R-12. (The fact that I am running it when it's in the 50's and 60's may contribute also. )

That being said, whenever it kicks on, I notice a drop of about 200 RPMS (it does bounce back) and a very noticeable loss in power. Feels like I go from a V8 to the 4.3L when it kicks in.

On my other cars, I can't even tell when the AC kicks on, but it is extremely noticeable in the truck, especially at idle.

Is this relatively normal? Just doesn't seem like it should be such a huge loss in power.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
When the refrigerant gets low in my truck, it does the same thing, once charged it isn't as noticeable

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just charge the system up. Being low is the reason it's doing that. Mine did that and I recharged it and it stopped. Also anybody will recommend to change it over to the current 134a.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Just charge the system up. Being low is the reason it's doing that. Mine did that and I recharged it and it stopped. Also anybody will recommend to change it over to the current 134a.

I used freeze 12 and am very happy with it. IIRC I didn't have to change o rings or anything

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AC problems in march!! is it that warm there??

CrewCab Steve

It was warm enough to wear shorts here in NC for 2-3 days and then now it's way below normal. Even had a little snow for a couple hours yesterday. That's NC Spring/Fall weather. When I wanted a good cold front to come in the winter for some good snow to play a little in with the truck it doesn't, but when it's supposed to warm up is when the cold front comes lol.