A 2"/4" Drop of a Different Kind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I wanna do a 2/4 drop on my 88 C1500. The PO did some weird things to it so, I'm not sure what I'll get with what stuff. Let me show what I've got. I measured wheel well chrome to top of tires with a level and tape measure. Here's the front.
You must be registered for see images attach

And the rear.

So a 2/4 drop will give me around 2" front and rear right? Well here's the fun part. The PO installed 4/1 leaf springs and home made shackles (I think) to get it at this height. Note the welds on it, is that OE stuff? It measures 7-1/4" center to center on the bolts.

Here's the "C" height of the springs measured from bottom of spring pack. Edit: I just noticed the "C" measurement is from the top of the spring pack, not the bottom so, mine is 2-3/4" tall making my "C" height ~8-3/4", my bad.

More to Come...

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continued From Above...

Here's the springs, do they look stock to you? Or maybe they're re-arced?

So, I can do a drop spindle or cut a coil out for my 2" but, what the hell do I do with the rear? Should I just buy a set of 3/1 leafs which are supposed to be 7-3/4" on the "C" measurement. That'll give me around 1" drop plus they'll compress a little more? Or should I get 4" Belltech drop leafs and stock shackles? Does anyone have some measurements on theirs?

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d say the spring pack has been messed with. That shackle has been extended, to lower the truck. So it either has higher rate or arched springs. I’d think the simplest would be to get a stock pack n go from there.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d think the simplest would be to get a stock pack n go from there.
It would definitely be close to $100 cheaper. I screwed up on my measurements and just edited them. I only have about 8-3/4" "C" height, not 11-1/2" so, I may be close with 3/1 springs which would give me 1" plus more compression on the weaker springs. If I don't get 4"+ then my only other option would be lowering hangers - more $$$ and labor that 4" Belltechs. Anyone know the span (bolt to bolt) on stock shackles? What's the 3/1 "C" height with the truck on the ground? If I could get those figures, maybe I can get a better idea.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
How much weight do you plan on putting in that truck? If it’s not going to be a lot, I’d pull a leaf spring. Preferably the one with the clamps and get new clamps to keep it all together for the rear. With the front, considering you don’t know if the springs been modified or whatever, I’d get a 3” drop coil for the front. That’s going to be your cheapest way of getting low and maintaining decent ride quality

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the front, considering you don’t know if the springs been modified or whatever, I’d get a 3” drop coil for the front.
The front is stock with the knockouts gone. I'm not really looking for a 3" drop who knows? Depending on what I wind up with on the rear, then I'll decide. I'm not really fond of drop springs, FWIU that'll throw out your camber. Yes it's an inexpensive way to go but, I think drop spindles are better for handling and alignment? I've never messed with stuff like this in years since I had Mopars and cranked torsion bars in front, air shocks, and shackles in back, ha ha. That's why I'm looking for more input.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not a fan of dropped springs either. way back in the day I had an 84 Grand Prix, completely rebuilt the suspension, had 2" progressive rate coils all around, and after awhile the fronts settled like 3-4", rear wasn't too bad. But with full length headers, hitting a bump hurt. The crossmember was barely couple inches off the ground. It handled like it was on rails, but absolutely sucked driving on the roads around here. Got so pissed at the car after awhile I gave it to a buddy who owned a junkyard at the time. I plan on going with spindles up front, and hangers/longer shackles for the rear....

xjsciortino

Reaction score
The front is stock with the knockouts gone. I'm not really looking for a 3" drop who knows? Depending on what I wind up with on the rear, then I'll decide. I'm not really fond of drop springs, FWIU that'll throw out your camber. Yes it's an inexpensive way to go but, I think drop spindles are better for handling and alignment? I've never messed with stuff like this in years since I had Mopars and cranked torsion bars in front, air shocks, and shackles in back, ha ha. That's why I'm looking for more input.

yeah I totally agree that it might not be the best way to do it for everyone. I did mine that way because it was my first exposure to having a lowered vehicle so if I didn’t like it, I could put the stock parts back on and only be out a little bit of money. On a daily driver or work truck I would do it the right way, but on a shop truck or something that at most sees 7500 miles a year I can live with it