99 Tahoe No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis Hair

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this issue is brand new the the Tahoe and I have no idea where to even start.

99 Tahoe LT 4dr 4x4 350 vortec, 175,000 miles on it.

New plugs
New wires,
New cap & rotor
New air filter
New fuel filter

Here's the problem.
Yesterday I was at a stop light in the turn lane. My light turns green and I begin to accelerate into the turn, as soon as I clear the intersection I give it some gas to gain speed. As soon as I give it gas and the rpm's go up it completely shuts off. No warning. No CEL. Nothing. Just dies. Can't start it either. Every time I crank it over it acts like maybe it wants to catch but can't.

A buddy of mine thinks it could possibly be the distributor, that the shaft has broken inside. Told me to start with cap & rotor. This guy was a mechanic at a toyota dealership many years ago. And while he was out taking a look at it he was able to eliminate certain variables.

Completely open to all suggestions and questions, and I'll be happy to eliminate any variables you guys present!

Thanks! Hope to get it running this weekend. It's my daily driver between my wife and I and I work 20 miles away from home.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
First thing I'd check is to see if you are getting spark at the plugs. A spark tester tool is only a few dollars. I'd be leery of the advice to change a dist cap and rotor from a guy that said the dist shaft may have broken. After that advice, did you pop the cap and turn over the engine to see if the rotor turned?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be leery of the advice to change a dist cap and rotor from a guy that said the dist shaft may have broken. After that advice, did you pop the cap and turn over the engine to see if the rotor turned?
I agree completely!

It sounds like it is ignition related. Grab a multi meter and check the coil and your basic grounds. I personally haven'thad a problem with vortec ignition modules but if you pull it most parts houses can check it. I have had issues with the crank sensor though.

Travis Hair

Reaction score
I agree completely!

It sounds like it is ignition related. Grab a multi meter and check the coil and your basic grounds. I personally haven'thad a problem with vortec ignition modules but if you pull it most parts houses can check it. I have had issues with the crank sensor though.
This is a good place to start! I personally trust the guy but he also gave the advice to start at the cap & rotor first. To see if those are good or bad and operational. I'll start there as soon as I get off work today!

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree with the idea that it is most likely ignition. Fastest way to check is to remove the lead from one plug, hold the metal terminal near the head or block of your engine, and have someone crank the truck. You should get a spark jumping, strong enough so you can hear it snap. If no spark, then go on to check if rotor turns, if coil has continuity, then take the module to a good parts house if you are still stumped.

Good luck on this one, does not sound all that serious.

Reaction score
The 99 yukon I had did more or less exactly what yours is doing. Found the the problem at the distributor, the gear was so worn that it had skipped a tooth ahead.