99 Tahoe dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this before? The two screws do not remove it, it feels like there are two other clips so I am guessing it is factory.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a new one for me. Looks like it just sits in the existing indentation in the dash and makes the usable space smaller?

Also it looks like there are actually four screws, are there two more with the heads facing the windshield down in the recessed portion of the compartment?

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything like that before either, looks like a coin tray?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have never seen one. IMO its not factory. I have been fooling with these trucks and have owned a few since 1999, Ive never seen one in the junk yards, and I have looked at a lot of these trucks since 1999. Hell even before that come to think about it.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a new one for me. Looks like it just sits in the existing indentation in the dash and makes the usable space smaller?

Also it looks like there are actually four screws, are there two more with the heads facing the windshield down in the recessed portion of the compartment?
Could be, I never noticed it until I looked at the pic again when you mentioned it. Rainign too hard to go down and look now. Seems odd to need 4 screws. I sat in the seat and pulled the two screws and could feel it was not completely loose. I could tell it was not doublesided tape.
I took the pic by holding the camera at the top corner of the windshield inside and never looked thru the viewfinder. I had never seen one before either.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it was part of a recall, but you win the gold star if you make sense of the correlation.

If you type your VIN into the NHTSA website it should report if the recall was done.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Guess it guides the airbag further back and not up? Wasn't in the other 99 Burb when it got totalled, and it was in 2012 so my brother probably doesn't remember either. Neither of my Burbs had this done; never seen or heard of it before till seeing this post.
The dashboard does get tore up by the bag operation though
If there's a bracket under this thing, then it must be that it stiffens the dashboard and aims the airbag. Hope I never find out!