99 Suburban K1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Around 2,825 in work later, and she is ready for the cross country trip to Tucson! I got a new u joint, front calipers, front rotors, upper control arms, plus a refresh on the A/C system, motor mounts and i think something else which I am forgetting. Better to be safe than sorry.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am leaving for Tucson this Tuesday. When I had the a/c recharged with freon, they put in the dye to check for leaks. Sure enough, there was a leak in the rear lines. The fittings and connections were all rusted out too on the lines......I had them replace basically every line under the truck, as the connections were so bad.
So now I have ice cold a/c and new lines. Now that this truck is going to spend the rest of it's life in the desert, I won't have to worry about new parts i've replaced rusting.
She is ready to make the cross country trip. I havent towed with a Suburban since I had my green one, so I had forgotten how well they tow! I picked up the u-haul and had no problems getting it home. I have it loaded up pretty much with all my stuff, and she still isnt squatting too bad. This will be the longest drive this truck will do since I've owned it. The photo I took is before I loaded it up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks nice, sounds like your all set for a good trip. Hope all goes well for you and look forward to seeing pictures of the journey. My rear line is leaking on mine too from living its life in the rust belt. How much was it for the new AC lines if you don't mind me asking. trying to figure out if its worth tackling myself or letting someone do it.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I am leaving for Tucson this Tuesday. When I had the a/c recharged with freon, they put in the dye to check for leaks. Sure enough, there was a leak in the rear lines. The fittings and connections were all rusted out too on the lines......I had them replace basically every line under the truck, as the connections were so bad.
So now I have ice cold a/c and new lines. Now that this truck is going to spend the rest of it's life in the desert, I won't have to worry about new parts i've replaced rusting.
She is ready to make the cross country trip. I havent towed with a Suburban since I had my green one, so I had forgotten how well they tow! I picked up the u-haul and had no problems getting it home. I have it loaded up pretty much with all my stuff, and she still isnt squatting too bad. This will be the longest drive this truck will do since I've owned it. The photo I took is before I loaded it up.

When I had my compressor replaced (the lines were fine - California truck) the AC was still just meh on real hot days. It felt pretty cold at the vent, but simply couldn't really cool the truck off under most circumstances, at least compared to other vehicles I've had (like my 01 Expedition which got meat-locker cold).

Anyway, long story short - does your Suburban actually get cold on really hot days now?

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyway, long story short - does your Suburban actually get cold on really hot days now?
That's kinda how mine is. Last year when I rebuilt my engine I replaced my compressor, dryer, condenser, and engine bay lines, but in my haste to get it on the road, I forgot to replace the orifice tube. Before I take it into real hot weather this year I plan on changing the orifice tube and expansion valve in the rear. I'm betting if I do that it will freeze us out like it did when these trucks were new.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
That's kinda how mine is. Last year when I rebuilt my engine I replaced my compressor, dryer, condenser, and engine bay lines, but in my haste to get it on the road, I forgot to replace the orifice tube. Before I take it into real hot weather this year I plan on changing the orifice tube and expansion valve in the rear. I'm betting if I do that it will freeze us out like it did when these trucks were new.

I just had my mechanic do it, and I'm pretty sure he just replaced the condenser and dryer. It worked ok unless it was really hot, which is like 2-3 months straight here. The new compressor crapped out and we just use our minivan when it's hot now.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I had my compressor replaced (the lines were fine - California truck) the AC was still just meh on real hot days. It felt pretty cold at the vent, but simply couldn't really cool the truck off under most circumstances, at least compared to other vehicles I've had (like my 01 Expedition which got meat-locker cold).

Today got up to 77 in Virginia and the a/c felt pretty good, I havent tried "max ac" setting yet. I'd even start to get slightly cold so i'd turn it off for a few.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks nice, sounds like your all set for a good trip. Hope all goes well for you and look forward to seeing pictures of the journey. My rear line is leaking on mine too from living its life in the rust belt. How much was it for the new AC lines if you don't mind me asking. trying to figure out if its worth tackling myself or letting someone do it.

Thank you! It was around 1300 something, i dont remember off the top of my head. The lines werent all that expensive, but the labor was.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Made it to Charlottesville VA today. Stopping at a family friends house for good food and free lodging...can't ever go wrong with that!
Was at 60-65mph as im pretty loaded down both in trailer and truck. Took it nice and easy, truck drove great.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just hit up the Loveless Cafe just outside Nashville. If your ever in the area, defenitly check it out! Put the truck to work yesterday coming into the smokies. Alot of the roads out there were sketchy with the trailer so i decided upon another route after scopin out the area, as the brakes were smokin almost as much as the mountains.
Mobbing down to Texakarna today and maybe further depends on time.